SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmschneider

How do you cat-proof?

lmschneider
15 years ago

I am planning to start some herbs and tomatoes inside for the first time. The ideal spot to do this is in the basement, I am thinking of doing a 48" W shelving unit to hold the seed trays with lights attached to the unit.

My biggest concern is how will I keep my cat away from this area. The basement also houses the litter boxes, so cannot shut the door....and I will not move the boxes...cause he would be sure to make me pay for that. My cat (Jag) is definitely a plant eater...last year I brought in a 4-pack of peppers I had yet to plant...it was going to get chilly that night and they were on the ground so I thought I'd protect from the outdoor elements (rabbits, weather). Well overnight the cat climbed up some decorative shelving attached to my kitchen cabinets I had placed the plants on...thinking I had put them in a high spot he wouldn't notice but of course he feasted on the pepper plants.

Anyone had successful methods to keep cats out of their seedlings?

I've thought of a few things, but not sure if they would work out okay. First would be putting up a clear shower curtain around the unit to keep cat out...but I want to be sure to not create to warm of a spot for growth and want to be able to get air circulation with use of fan. Another was to make like a "wall" out of cardboard and cover with reflective material that can create a "room" for the unit and be easily moved for my access.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio