SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilscott12

need BEST blooming cream and apricot rose

aprilscott12
14 years ago

Hi everyone...I'm looking for the most prolific and fastest repeat blooming rose in cream and in apricot. I'm considering doing a mass planting and would love to see almost continuous color. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

April

Comments (21)

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

let me clarify...I'm looking for BOTH colors of roses. Thanks. :)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I love Perle d'Or. It is a very light apricot. Very well blooming. Beautiful rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perle d'Or on HMF

• Related Discussions

apricot bloom date and blooming issues

Q

Comments (33)
    I'm sorry folks--I just saw the comments about Goldensweet. I'm not that great at describing food--I guess I would say is they are really sweet with a hint of tart. Sweet like a Blenheim without the "candied" flavor an overripe Blenheim can get. (Is that what they mean by "vinous"?) Or maybe sweet like a Cot-N-Candy aprium but with more complexity and a little tartness. All I can say is every year I wait for the only grower who has them at the Farmer's Market to get them in (they are among the latest) and the first one I taste I always say: "They ARE as yummy as I remember!" (OK, now you all have me dying for an apricot!) Oh and to correct my above post, my Tardirouge has NOT bloomed yet--it is way later than Robada or Orangered, which now have fading blooms. And for those of you looking for late bloomers, one of my newest apricots, an Autumn Royal, still has not bloomed yet either! Carla in Sac
    ...See More

Cream Veranda, The Lady Gardener, or other compact apricot rose sugges

Q

Comments (28)
    I hate to inject a sour note about Heaven on Earth. I got mine the year it was released, and it bloomed and performed much as described by others here. Then one summer it began to spontaneously die back. This continued until it went dormant. The following spring it resumed dieback, so I removed it. This is the only rose that has ever had dieback in my garden, and left me very suspicious of the ultimate health of HOE. Any others out there having a similar experience? Diane
    ...See More

Need a recommendation for an David Austin apricot color rose

Q

Comments (24)
    Somehow, Ambridge rose had fallen off my radar. That is an incredible looking rose, Flowers. Now it's on my wish list. Kristine, your Lady of Shalott is incredible! I had always thought of it as a very bright orange, which is not my favorite color, but then again, Lady Emma Hamilton has always caught my eye. Like others have mentioned, Abraham Darby and Evelyn are my favorites. Both have flowers of a lovely form, and of luscious colors. The fragrances are different, but both delightful and mouthwatering, more so than most roses to my nose, and I am very fragrance focused. Abe is more of a stocky rose in my garden, and Evelyn is more graceful. I've read that Abe can be susceptible to rust, so if that is a problem in your area, you may want to avoid him. Abraham Darby Evelyn
    ...See More

Need suggestions for a BS resistant, heat tolerant apricot rose

Q

Comments (21)
    Kristine, Easy does it looks very pretty, how is the fragrance? heirloom says lightly fragrant. The reason I said strongly fragrant in my initial post is that if not, i dont smell anything! For instance, in my garden, Heritage does very well, but I only detect a light fragrance:(. Nothing from the likes of Lady of Shallot or Belindas dream. Push comes to shove, i'll take something that is not very fragrant, but was hoping in that broad range of yellow to coral, I can find an strong bloomer that will look OK with no spray. Eustacia Vye looks great. Surprisingly some Austins do well enough for me. I have a new flower bed coming up soon, so making a side list for that as well! Dianela, i will look up Tamora, was not on my radar, thanks!
    ...See More
  • lesmc
    14 years ago

I am in Louisville, KY zone 6. In my garden, the rose Gweniviere is a blooming machine. Just a beautiful creamy color and my best rose. Please consider this rose as I really love this rose. I probably spelled the name wrong! I was an Art major...LOL! I do spray this rose about once a month just because I do spray other roses in the garden. It has never shown blackspot.

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks holleygarden...it sure is pretty! I will def keep it in mind for the apricots. how large does it get for you?

lesmc..I believe it's guinevere :) I looked it up as well and it is REALLY pretty. Do you find that yours is definitely more cream? In some of the pics it looks like the center is apricot tinged? Also, how large does it get? I am close to the same zone...maybe not quite so cool as KY? Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post.

• lesmc
    14 years ago

Hi crzy4flowers...I have had Guinevere for 4 years. Her blooms are definately cream in my garden. Really yummy creamy. It is around 4' by 3'. This rose is covered in blooms all summer and often my first to bloom. Lasts a long time when cut or left on the bush.As I said, I do spray, and I hit this one every 3 weeks or so. It stays clean.It gets 5 hours of sun and is fed Rosetone 3 times a growing season. Let us know what you choose.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    14 years ago

One of my favorite roses, and it has blooms all of the time, really:

Royal Sunset (climber)

Mine stays shades of pastels... maybe the heat here, or a fair amount of shade? She's never bright orangey for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Sunset at hmf

• bob_71
    14 years ago

Apricot Twist
    {{gwi:220901}}

Butter Cream
    {{gwi:220902}}

Sam Trivitt
    {{gwi:220903}}

• Molineux
    14 years ago

Two favorites include:

APRICOT NECTAR (Floribuna, 1965) - apricot. Image by Iris-Gal at Hortiplex.

FRENCH LACE (Floribunda, 1980) - ivory blushed soft apricot. Image by Labrea-7NYC at Hortiplex.
    {{gwi:220905}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

I'm starting to swoon over all these creamy images! Wild fantasies start whirling around my brain about buying out my neighbor's lot and turning it into a rose garden.

Not a good thing for a semi-retired person to be indulging in, ya know. LOL

Kate

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

I got Guinevere (aka Louisa Stone) last spring, and it was very impressive in my no-spray yard. A bloom machine, the blossoms varied between cream and pale apricot, and even towards pink when it was still blooming in frosty November. No disease problems at all without spray--and the foliage was beautiful, with a lot of deep red in the newer growth that really sets off the blossoms. I can't wait to see what it will do as it gets more established.

Louisa Stone
    {{gwi:220906}}

{{gwi:220907}}

• msm84
    14 years ago

I Don't mean to toot my own horn.....Well maybe I do *lol*

Here is a mini rose that would make a great front row rose that grows 18-24 inches high and 20-30 inches wide. "Ms. Mary" covers herself in soft peach blooms in clusters and occassional singles. Leaves are medium green and very healthy. There are several of the rose nurseries that carry the rose and it would definately look great with cream colored ones.

I also vote for the floribunda rose "French Lace". Gorgeous rose!!

MsM84 (aka: Ms. Mary)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Howdy Miss April, I know we have been shopping all day but I still have to put in my vote for Heaven on Earth for your apricot or peach rose and for your cream one I vote for Cream Abundance. French Lace looks mighty pretty so I might have to get myself that one. They all look pretty though. Have fun deciding!!!!!

• roserobin_gw
    14 years ago

Penny Lane, great scent, healthy, constant bloom, climber but could be grown as a large shrub

Here is a link that might be useful: penny lane @ HMF

• jont1
    14 years ago

Apricot happens to be my favorite of all roses colors and I grow many. Here are some that I would grow anytime.
    Summers Kiss aka Paul Ricard has been a huge bushy blooming machine for me. The blooms are large, plentiful, long-lasting and gorgeous and the bush is very disease resistant and easy to grow.
    Mother of Pearl--Varying shades of creamy pinkish apricot that I grow right next to Summers Kiss and sometimes you cannot tell one bloom from the other. Big, bushy, healthy, heavy blooming and easy to grow. Another real winner.
    Either of these two or a combination of both would make a wonderful mass planting or hedge. These two bushes together use up about 9' long and 4'-5' wide in my garden bed. Neither of these are heavily scented but are lightly fragrant. Both are very winter hardy with no protection from me at all. Personally for a mass planting I would use the both of them together.
    Marilyn Monroe--a very beautiful exhibition flower of medium apricot that are large and luscious but scentless. Blooms are plentiful and repeat quickly for me. The bush is 5 1/2' tall and 3 1/2' wide on both of my MM bushes. The foliage is thick, dense, healthy and dark green. The one drawback is that the bushes are extremely thorny, but if you are looking for a people/animal stopper, these little daggers will certainly do the deed.
    For a smaller but still dense bush I would suggest the mini (though really mini-flora sized) Nancy Jean mini bred by Vernon Rickard. My Nancy Jean blooms are large minmi-flora sized and have an intense apricot color. It blooms plentifully and the flowers have wonderful form and last a very long time with cast iron substance to the petals. The color of the blooms doesn't fade much if any throughout the life of the blooms. There isn't much fragrance at all, but they are still beautiful and repeat quickly for me. The bush is very dense with dark green foliage that too has heavy leaf substance and would make a good hedge or mass planting. Mine grows large quickly every Spring to about 3 1/2' tall and 3' wide soon after breaking dormancy every year. This is a good apricot rose.
    A new apricot HT for me this year that has really gotten my attention already is Over The Moon. It was a bareroot plant this past Spring and it broke dormancy very quickly and vigorously and started producing beautiful large deep apricot blooms right away. The blooms are plentiful already with a light scent and I think will get even better as it establishes the next couple of years. The blooms are of exhibition quality and I would expect to see them on the head tables soon. Stems are long and straight and the blooms I cut for vases this year lasted 10-12 days without faiding noticeably. I think this is going to be an incredibly popular rose as it gets more widely distributed. I can easily see this one becoming a favorite of mine very easily and quickly.
    Apricot Nectar is already mentioned above and is a very good apricot floribunda. I would recommend it as well.
    My favorite rose of all is the apricot blend Day Breaker floribunda. I have a mass planting of five of them in my front bed and it is an immediate attention getter and has probably drawn more people to my driveway to look at the roses than any others I have. The flowers are a beautiful melange of dawn colors in pink, cream, orange, apricot, and yellow that are constanly changing as the temps of the year change throughout the growing season. My bushes bloom continuously and heavy with nice large floribunda blooms that have good form, heavy substance, and a delightful light scent that I really enjoy. It blooms on both singles and sprays and they make great cut flowers for me. The bush and foliage of DB are it's greatest asset I believe. The bush grows to about 4 1/2' to 5' tall very vigorously and quickly every Spring and begin blooming right away. They are very winter hardy and fly through winter with no added protection from me at all. It is very easy to grow. The leaves are a very thick and shiny green that sparkle in the sun and are a terrific backdrop for the beautiful blooms. I have seen a very small amount of blackspot when the disease pressure is very high, but nominal spraying keeps my six bushes mostly very healthy. The bush maintains a very good rounded shape without having to prune it excessively to get it that way. I think that is why the mass planting is so attractive. This is the only rose that I have more than two of and I would have even more of them had I the right place for them. This is a great rose and the very favorite of the 300+ I currently grow.
    For cream colored roses I would definitely recommend Elina as it is creamy enough very light yellow that most times my blooms look more cream than yellow. It is a great rose as mentioned above.
    Tahitian Sunset is beautiful and ultra healthy growing and heavy blooming and during the majority of the year is a very light creamy yellow apricot color with super fragrance.
    European Touch is a wonderful creamy light apricot descendant of Folklore that grows like a weed. My bushes are very tall at 7' and 4' wide and very winter hardy. Not much scent, but the blooms are very large and plentiful and the foliage is gorgeous. Will BS just a tiny bit but a very light and occasional spray keeps them clean for me. I only grow one of them, but I think it would make a successful multi planting rose as well.
    Roses that are great but may be too white for you are Pope John Paul II,and Moonstone HT's. Both are great roses.
    You know I just thought of the J&P creamy white floribunda Moondance. I have grown it two years and it has proven to be a very vigorous, healthy, and very heavy blooming rose. It has very dense foliage with thick healthy leaves and is in constant bloom. It is NEVER without flower in my garden and I think it could make a very nice mass planting and a particularly good hedge. It is not very thorny and the canes and stems are very sturdy and straight and the flowers make a good cut rose. They last a long time on the bush or even when cut for the vase. you should really take a look at this one I think.
    So here are my ideas.
    In all, if I were going to narrow this down, I would REALLY consider the Summer's Kiss/Mother of Pearl combo as they are so easy care, healthy/hardy, large, colorful, and interesting to look at. Just different enough yet the same type of rose that they would be a standout anywhere.
    Anyway, I think any of the roses I have mentioned here would make a good mass planting. I am in your general area so our growing experiences should be similar.
    Good luck to you and let us know what you decide to do!
    Good luck and good rosing...
    John

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    14 years ago

A thread in the Gallery came up with delicious pics of my pick, Royal Sunset. The colors shown are like the beginning stages in my garden. Then things get more pastel. The scent is excellent, I forgot to say.

Anyway, check out these pics! Oh, my :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Sunset on the Gallery - must see

• aprilscott12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMIgosh!!! I've been busy the last couple of days and just now getting to look back on your suggestions! AAAAHHHH! You guys are making this HARD! LOL! SO many beautiful suggestions. I THINK I bought French lace last year. But the deer kept eating it and I don't believe I ever got a bloom. Argh! I will certainly think long and hard about all your suggestions and let you all know what I decide on! Can't wait for spring and blooms again! Thanks a million to all of you fellow enablers!
    April

• barb_r
    14 years ago

French Lace looks awesome! fragrance?

• ceterum
    14 years ago

Apricot is my favorite color in roses. You made our task difficult because you didn't specify the size - mass planting should be, I think more or less composed of relatively even sized roses. Or, you can come up with a plan where you have a few climbers on obelisks as backdrops like Royal Sunset, Colette, Papi Delbard, Lion's Rose and Sebastian Kneipp (both said to be 4 and half " high but they hit 8-9' in their fist year in my yard, so as soon as it was feasible, the were replanted from the first "floribunda row" in the back row and got support. (When will I learn that a rose that Kordes designates as 4', will be minimum 8' in the south in the US?)

Now, Elina is positively 8' + here, Irish Hope is about 6 or 7', wonderful and healthy rose - both are pale yellow.
    Apricots around 7': Abraham Darby, Abbaye de Cluny, and Apricot Nectar - 5' tall and gives plenty of flowers.
    The new Kordes floribundas are wide and abundant bloomers and have great foliage:Floral fairy tale, to mention one in your favorite color range - just do not believe that they stay 3--4 ' tall and they will spread 5 ' wide.
    Of creams, beside Lion's rose and Sebastian Kneipp,, I repeat, both are tall! Amazing Grace and Jardins de Bagatelle were/are my favorites (about 4' each) Amazing Grace was not very productive but the perfume of that rose!!! - you just need 3! :-)

Just Joey is absolutely gorgeous but give her a very protected part in your garden - I lost both in the last yo-yoing winter (one night warm, one night cold, one night rainy, etc. she survived much colder winters but hated this constant fluctuations). The same happened with my Special Occasion roses - my absolute favorite apricots that were always in bloom.
    Serendipity and Folksinger are also great bloomers in this color range - both are about 5' tall.
    On the truly low side, my favorite cream-off white is Bolero, perfumed to the boot and is a bloom factory. Louise Stone isn't so healthy as her foliage goes on the other side of the same bed but does bloom very well. And I should not forget to mention Snowbird.

• connielb
    13 years ago

Prairie Star. Without a doubt. One tough Griffith Buck rose that has hybrid tea-like blooms & hybrid tea-like form. The flower is creamy white with a slight peach-pink blush. It is upright(3' T x 2' W) with bluish foliage and blooms continually in my Chicagoland garden. Very elegant and needs no winter protection (other than bunny fence). I've seen it described in catalogs as soft yellow or soft pink. Probably because of its apricot/peach undertone. But in my garden (and I have 6 of them) they are definately cream/white with a peach blush.

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

Regarding cream-colored roses, I have to agree that 'French Lace' ranks near the top. But my absolute favorite in that category is the exquisite, but not easily found, Kordes rose 'Antique Silk' (aka 'Champagner').