SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Some random newbie(ish) questions

korina
16 years ago

Hello, my name is Korina, and I'm an African violet addict. I've been resisting the call of the orchid for a few years; well, okay so I do have *some*. Anyway I want to be able to take care of them better, and perhaps find some easy mini orchids. But I have a couple (honest) of questions not covered in my books.

I have a Paph. dent-- dent-something-ii. It's spiking for me (three flowers!) for the second time (yay! I'm doing something right!). But it's butting up to the fluorescent tubes of my tiny stand; last time the flowers got burned. So how do I avoid this? Also, how big do these guys get? It looked pretty small (I was hoping it was some sort of mini) when I got it, but the new growth looks -- erm -- larger.

Also, I've been slowly converting everything to hydroculture/semi hydro; when I did it to my Onc. Twinkles, the roots -- well, the roots didn't want to let go of the old bark medium; it was traumatic for all of us. How can I switch over my others (a couple of Dends (kingmanii and a noid) and a Mas. Aquarius) without trashing the poor roots?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Korina, running back to lurker land

Comments (6)