SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elenal_gw

bamboo flooring--some quesions from a newbie to this product

elenal
18 years ago

I've been reading the threads on bamboo flooring (and drooling over the pics). It is not a material I've ever considered (bec. I didn't know of its existence). It looks lovely.

1) I'm wondering if I am understanding correctly from the postings that strand bamboo (also called "woven" if I'm understanding this correctly) is a bit more durable and stable than other types of bamboo flooring? That is very important to me bec. our house is very high traffic, and I'm very cheap. Thus, I want to put down something beautiful and I want it to look good for a long, long time. Also, I'll be putting it down on the entire first floor, including the kitchen, so I'm really looking for something that cleans up well.

2) The second question I have concerns the issue of installing the strand/woven bamboo. Folks in another thread were kind enough to answer my question about putting down new 1/4" (or today, my designer said maybe 1/2") wood floors over our old wood floors. They explained how that would be done, and now I'm wondering does bamboo raise any additional issues for this type of installation since yesterday I was thinking red oak or maple, and now that I'm seeing bamboo, I'm thinking that should be in the mix, too. Thanks all for any input.

Comments (26)