SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limequilla_gw

Portable greenhouse and heater

limequilla
17 years ago

The subject of portable greenhouses came up on another thread, and I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I am dying to hear about these! Can we get a discussion going?

Do any of you -- including Julie -- have portable greenhouses? What do you use them for? How do they work? Where do you buy them and where do you store them when they aren't in use. Also do they have to be cleaned?

How do you go from your house to your portable greenhouse --literally. Do you walk through the snow? Or are we talking sort of a plastic thing with shelves that you stick your flats in? Like a vertical coldframe?

I guess I'd like to know the pitfalls and if you'd buy your make and model again.

Thanks!

Lime

Comments (13)

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lime,

I love mine, I don't know about cleaning because this will only be my second year and I haven't set it up yet but I'll probably just hose it down. It is very sturdy and it came with one set of shelves. I only have one problem and it was all DH's fault - lol. the plastic cover is very tight which I like so it isn't all floppy inside. BUT, when he put it up for the first time the plastic was cold and he didn't let it warm up like I SAID TO. Anyway, the zipper ripped away from the door flap a little but it sewed up nicely with fishing line and it held up all spring. We'll see what happens when I go to put it up this year. I store it in the basement up against a wall because it folds flat. I was able to hang 2 baskets from the steel bar at the top, thats how sturdy it was. I got it from the place linked below. I've seen it everywhere else for $400 - yeah right!

P.S. because the plastic is so tight it is a little difficult to put up. You would need the assistance of a strong person, preferably one who listens to you :)

Here is a link that might be useful: germinator

• ironside
    17 years ago

Lime,
    I have two mini greenhouses that have four shelves in each unit. I put them on my patio April first and put a heater in each one. It is about 3 foot wide by 64 inches tall. I put a lot of my seedlings out there once it is up to temperature. As far as cleaning, I clean it every year before putiing it away for the season. Good luck!

• Related Discussions

New Portable Greenhouse on wheels.

Q

Comments (22)
    Nice construction and I can see some real potential with the design. But I'm wondering about how efficient this would be during cold weather. How will the single thickness plastic sheeting retain heat during the overnight hours? Double wall polycarbonate panels would be a tremendous improvement - although more costly. Can't tell from the finished photo, but the bottom appears to be open and exposed to drafts. Shouldn't there be another sheet of polyethylene - or an insulating panel? Or, are you concerned with water drainage?
    ...See More

seedlings, portable greenhouse, and heater ?'s

Q

Comments (4)
    How hot do I need to keep it in there at night? All you really have to do is keep it above 38 but I set my thermostat for 45. How cool should it be in the day? How do I know when to open the vents? Try to keep it below 80 max and shoot for 60-65. Should I put a fan on them? How long should the fan be running? Yes, 8-10 hours a day. How about jugs of water to hold heat? They help but not much unless you can cover the north wall of the GH with them so don't count on them. Keep in mind that the heat will rise and so the higher shelves will be warmer than the bottom ones. The fan will help circulate the heat but you still need to make note of the difference between the temp at different levels and place the plants accordingly. Good luck! ;) Dave
    ...See More

Coleman ProCat Portable Catalytic Heater

Q

Comments (1)
    If you are just using it for occasional use, should be fine so long as you are careful to provide adequate ventilation. It may POSSIBLY give you more heaing than you would like.
    ...See More

Winter protection

Q

Comments (1)
    I can tell you. Yes, it will work. I successfully used this during the winter of '07 - '08. One big drawback - our electric bill went sky-high. We could not afford to do this method each winter. dln949
    ...See More
  • gardenz
    17 years ago

Like tastefullyjulie, I also have a Germinator. Up until two years ago I had my first Germinator (a 6'X8' which they discontinued after the first couple of years only to concentrate on the smaller and larger models) for nearly 8 years. I never collapsed it and was quite surprised and happy that the cover lasted through all those winters. Of course there were some major repairs on it towards the end. But while it lasted, it was great.

Last year I searched and searched for a new one only to find that the manufacturer, Anchor Industries, ceased production entirely. An Anchor rep, I spoke w/ told me they just couldn't compete w/the competition from other portable greenhouse manufacturers. I told him I didn't understand that because I thought their product was wonderful and more sturdy and functional than those others. (Found this out the hard way by ordering a Flowerhaus the year before and was so disappointed in its construction, I sent it back.)

This year, out of the blue I found it at the very site to which Julie linked. Was about to order the 8'X8' from them when I also discovered Johnny's Select Seeds (a company I've dealt w/for years and from whom I purchased my original Germinator) had the same model - which included the shelf unit - for slightly less. Knowing they only had limited stock and as I said, it's no longer being produced, I invested a few dollars more and bought a replacement cover for the future.

We're putting it up this weekend (if it's not too cold.) I can already tell from looking at the opened box, that this cover's weave is different than the original. So, thanks, Julie for the heads up about the tautness of this cover if it's not warmed enough. I'll bring the cover in the heated mudroom to warm and unwrap it a bit to make it more pliable outside.

With my first Germinator (as w/this one) it's steps from my back door. We haven't had to deal with large amounts of snow in recent years (global warming?) so that's not been an issue. But in year's past, DH just had to dig a trench for me to travail. I run a heavy duty extension cord from an outside outlet through an opening in the bottom of the cover. That's hooked up to a heavy-duty portable heater w/a thermostat that's set to kick on for whatever temp I set. I can keep the fan running constantly or just have the fan run when the thermostat comes on. Keeps it nice and toasty in there on frigid nights. I'll cover the floor as I did before w/a weed barrier cloth topped w/gravel. That also helps collect some heat. Always have a thermometer in there to keep track of the temps, btw.

I start my seeds in plug trays and cell packs indoors on several large heat mats and transfer them to a large three-tiered cart w/florescents till they've developed at least two sets of true leaves. Then I move them outside to the greenhouse to grow on till planting out. Once the weather warms enough (and as Julie can attest, it can get mighty hot in there under full sun even in winter), I have two small portable, oscillating fans that constantly circulate air over the seedlings. Depending on how hot it gets determines how much I open the vents and how long I keep the fans running. Far as cleaning, I just used to hose it down also. Inside and out.

I think it's a great investment if you aren't ready for a permanent structure. I've been ready for a permanent one for years! But it's kind of cost prohibitive and we may be moving in the future, so I'd hate to leave that behind. At least w/this one, I can take it along!

Sorry for the lengthy description, but since you were eager to know as much as possible, Lime, I figured it'd be okay if I blabbed a bit. :)

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's Germinator

• northforker
    17 years ago

I just purchased a "bloomhouse" last year in the spring - about 8x8 - and I loved being able to move seedlings into it that were started under lights and potted up. We put it up on the deck attached to the house (so just steps out the door)for April and May, until plants could be moved out the garden. Used a heater a few nights that were cold. The bloomhouse pops up in a few minutes and "unpops" easily too. Although I have only had the one season, it seems sturdy and held up well during winter storage in the garage.I also love that it has lots of window vents to help regulate the heat. It gets a full 20 degrees warmer in there than outside during the day.

This year I have put it up a little bit early (last weekend) as I am attempting to do some winter sowing in there. We'll see how that goes...

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Linda -

Great post! Except I think the 8x8 germinator is cheaper at the first place than at Johnny's? $239 vs. $295. It also comes with one shelf, mine came with one too.

I'm bummed they don't make it anymore, it's really awesome.

• belleville_rose_gr
    17 years ago

I have just finished putting a HFGH 6x8 I can't wait to bring my plants out

• billjoebob
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I will say to anyone buying a greenhouse, do your homework carefully. I have a 12 x 10 that is double insulated so I can overwinter oleanders, princess bushes and hibiscus.
    Many single layers cannot be used for overwintering. It worked great for several years, but this year I lost things due to high winds and a very cold snap.
    Just figure out what you want to use it for and do plenty of homework.

• t_bred
    17 years ago

Just curious, What type of heater would you use for this?

• gardenz
    17 years ago

Tastefullyjulie, Your absolutely right! The Germinator offered at Urban Gardener Center was cheaper. This was a case of my leaping before I looked. :( When I was pricing them on the Internet and I first read the Urban Garden Center's page, for some inexplicable reason I read it as not including a shelf support system and that the shelf system came separately. i.e. the $79+ dollars. In retrospect...DUH....$79 for what amounts to be only a few extra pieces of metal would be ridiculous! Only after you reposted and I went back to check the link did I realize I goofed. But, so I shouldn't clobber myself too much, the only other (at least more legitimate) reason for ordering from Johnny's was that they carried the extra cover and after having been unable to find a replacement cover for my first one, I figured this time - especially since neither size Germinator is made any longer - I'd hedge my bet and get a replacement cover as a precaution for future use. So if I'd ordered the greenhouse from UGC and the cover from Johnny's, between the S&H from both, I guesstimate I maybe overpaid by around $40. Still irks me, but what's done is done and if the weather cooperates this weekend, we'll finally get it up. Last weekend we had the Typhoon Winds From Hell. No way could we have put that thing up then!!

t-bred See my post above about how I heat mine. Basically, it's just a shop-type floor space heater. Cost about $25 and is a powerful little devil!

• puzzlefan
    17 years ago

The first Cover-It I owned was great. It held up for five years and was still useable when I gave it away. I bought a larger one even though I knew the customer service for this company was poor. The second one was a disaster. Large holes in the first year so they finally relinquished and replaced it. The replacement wasn't any better and I have been taping it up ever since. Still it works. Today was the second day I have been able to carry my seedlings out to the greenhouse. It is a nuisance but it saves on electricity since the grow lights are off. If it is about 30 degrees first thing in the morning, I turn on my Little Buddy propane heater. (greenhouse is 12 x10). As soon as the temp is up to 60, I turn off the heater and take my plants out, letting the solar gain do the rest.

• limequilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I asked for advice and got it, didn't I? The trouble is, I didn't use it!

I went to the Johnny's site and saw the premium model, but like Goldilocks, it was toooooo big. (I measured the footprint of where I want it to go, and even the smaller ones seemed really big.)

I went to the other places where posters provided links and looked.... I didn't want to have to drag tables or shelving out and an 8' dimension (eiher way) is too big because there are roses right there with some SERIOUS canes. I only plant to keep it up in March and April, possibly into May, but that would be to keep plants dry rather than warm.

Then I looked at some simple little upright ones. I think you could put one flat on each of the three or 4 shelves, but they were tooooo small. A heater would probably burn the plants closest to it.

Then I went to Ebay and looked at all theirs and looked and looked and finally decided on a little 4 x 6 with shelves. It is NOT a good one. The plastic is reinforced, but there is no venting. Not real sure that was too bright, but we'll see. There is no anchoring at the bottom so it could also blow over (often times these come with little ground stakes)

On the other hand, the price was right and I really just wanted a large germinator. It is a walk in model, so in a pinch I could put a heater in it without melting the plastic. I love wintersowing except for two things: the milk jugs look like hell and now that I am midway into it, people are talking about taking the tops of the jugs when the sun is shining & it's warm out, and then putting them back on when it's cold! I thought you could leave them out there on their own! No way I am babysitting 300 jugs next year!

If only it had some vents, I would be really, really happy, but as it is, I just want to see what kinds of temperatures I can expect. As cheap as it was, maybe the reinformced plastic will rip right off the bat and those will be my vents :)

Thnaks for all the insight, though. I enjoyed all your posts and collective thinking.

Lime

• annebert
    17 years ago

I've looked at these but been concerned about the zipper issue. I have one of those 4 shelf things with the clear vinyl cover (it was free from somebody who didn't want it)and it ripped around the zipper very quickly. It sounds like the material these GHs are made from is stronger, but how well do they stand up to zipping and unzipping?

• limequilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

..An update on my greenhouse. I was surprised that it was actually nicer than advertised.

The cover is plastic with plastic threads going through it for strength.

The plastic sides come down an extra 5" so are folded either inside or outside. It has 3-4 grommets per side at the bottom and comes with little L shaped stakes. I put bricks on the extra material at the bottom to prevent air from seeping in. All around it there are loops at the top for additional ties downs they provide, similar to the old pup tents. Then the shelves were a lot nicer than I expected and hold more weight than I expected.

The biggest, best thing I was most happy about it it *does* have vents. OMG, if it didn't I don't know what a person would do. On a gh that small (4 x 6 feet) the heat can build up on a sunny day very, very quickly! The vents can be loosely tied open. None of these features was listed in the Ebay description.

Regarding the zipper...it's a nice zipper, has been opening and closing nicely, but like any zipper, all it takes is one thing to go wrong and the whole thing is toast.

The downside is that my husband is not keen to(read: won't let me) have a heater in it. Because of the expense, not because of a fire or anything, and I even have a governor that will not allow the heater to come on if it's warmer than 37 degrees. :( The inside temperature of this thing at night is the same temperature as outside as far as I can tell, and I already lost a 1/4 flat of dahlia seedlings that shouldn't have been in there anyway. They were about 2 days old, so I just resowed.

All in all, I'd rather have a real greenhouse, but this isn't half-bad.

Lime