SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdaloonie

newbie sunburned her new floaters?

magdaloonie
16 years ago

Thanks to all the wonderful encouragement and advice over the last couple of weeks, my first 19 gal tub garden is now 2 19 gal tub gardens and the first "real" plants arrived this morning. The wal-mart lily is still doing nothing. I'll give it 3 weeks as someone suggested then pitch it.

I ordered a bunch of plants from a nursery in FL (Aquatic Plant Depot). I picked them up at the PO this morning, kept them by my desk as long as I could stand it, then spent my lunch hour planting and arranging (food for the soul!). The pretty Helvola went in the shadier tub next to the porch (along with a sweetflag) and I divvied up the parrot feather, duck weed and water lettuce between the two tubs.

When I came home again at 5pm, a big lily bud was fully open (yay!) and that whole tub looked very pretty. The other one in the sun now had WL with crunchy edges, wilted parrots feather and most of the duckweed turned transluscent white.

I'm guessing a bit of shock from lush FL to noonish on a sunny day in NM at 6500+ feet elevation. Sunburn, I think. Does that sound right? Some of the duckweed that was under the WL is still green so I stuck a board across the top to provide a little shade where the breezes are blowing everything.

If it is just sunburn, do you think these plants will recover? Should I try to scoop out those little duckweeds? Should I fashion something to shade the whole thing better for a while? All take all the free advice I can get!

The rest of the plants are on order from a nursery in Colorado. I feel like that makes more sense but I'm easily deluded in the garden.

Vanessa

Comments (5)