SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Rambling Winter Thread

calliope
16 years ago

OK, so it's NOT officially winter yet by the calendar, but believe me, it's winter in the Ohio Valley. I just thought it would be nice to start a thread about various and sundry observations and factoids.....sort of a place where you'd be comfortable just having some winter flights of ideas.

My husband just "discovered" hot chocolate and now I'm obliged to keep the cocoa stash perpetually replenished. I can't understand how a person can hit seventy years of age, and not discovered how wonderful a belly full of chocolate feels when it's cold outside. He has a very respectable beard, and impressive moustache........and just for grins today, I plopped a couple big fat marshmallows in his cup and served it up. LOLOL. Sort of along the lines of feeding a dog peanut butter if you know what I mean.

This year we have a pair of red breasted nuthatches coming to our window to feed on suet cakes. I have lived in this house twenty two years and this is the first glimpse I have ever had of this diminutive and charming little bird who lives in pine forests for the most part. But, where are the American Tree sparrows?

When I was a child, one just awoke in the morning to a blanket of snow and said "It snowed!" Today we are alerted a winter storm is headed our way and everyone acts like they need to hitch their chihuahuas up to a sled and start building igloos. I have come to the conclusion any accumulation of snow is now a "winter storm". The last storm, although it dumped nearly eight inches, was wet and sloppy and I doubt would have supported the weight of a real sled runner. Now that is my criteria of a storm. Giant frisbees and intertubes don't count. BTW, my mother related to me when she moved to northern Michigan to live with her great uncle, he was obliged to pick her up at the station in a sleigh pulled by horses. It was there she also mastered snowshoes and skis. That's how she got to school in the 1930s.

Not so very long ago, those people working all night, on weekends and during holidays were called "emergency personnel" and the newspapers would always run an article over Christmas thanking them for their sacrifice during the holidays. Today, those people would be called Mall merchants.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions