SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 1

Well for alot of us Winter has arrived! The blues can be a problem this time of the year...

So post pics, have good conversation, and just have fun to break up those blues!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

Comments (170)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments on my roses, I do appreciate it. Even though the Reine des Violettes picture is from 2019, in the past it’s looked somewhat better. I think it needs to be pruned back more, it needs to be refreshed. Lisa, I wish you could grow it, but I have to accept the reality that there are roses that don’t do good in every location. Stephanie, I’m glad yours is okay. Flowers, I really do enjoy Beverly, it’s a good rose for me. Diane, I think BD is a great rose, I would think in your climate it would be gorgeous. The blooms do ball here occasionally, but that hasn’t been a huge issue.

I do hope everyone who has been struggling with flu, viruses, or any health related issues continue to improve and that we all stay healthy! Most of us are around the age that it’s a real concern.

Jim, Lacey and Cagney are pretty cats, love seeing all the pet pictures.

Lisa, I totally agree with Diane, the Honey Dijon and Celosia look beautiful together.. The coloring of the unopened Honey Dijon buds and Celosia color itself make them both look so lovely, the other flowers you added look pretty too.

Diane, I hope your afternoon goes as planned, sounds wonderful!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

I talk to Rosie as if she was human, and sometimes, when she's not around, I just talk to myself. I do not advise others to do this, as, recently, I talked to myself in the supermarket!

Diane, I'm going to have to google those painters now. I hope the snow stays off, and you get to go.

Lisa, I do love your chatty posts.

It is so dry here. Even a small tree I transplanted a couple of months ago, and water every 2 or 3 days, was wilting yesterday. And you could not call what my daughter and I are breaking up to plant the natives, soil. It's like breaking up rock. The fires are still burning fiercely. There seems no relief in sight. But yesterday and today, the smoke cover has been higher up, so it's not so oppressive. The roses are blooming, but most have much smaller flowers than usual, and quickly wither. They'll have to survive without water, except for the newly planted ones, as there is no way I can get enough water to them with a watering can. Fortunately many of the Tea roses are survivors.

Sara Ann, I love Reine des Violettes. Such a pretty colour. I tried it here, but it was a dud. I didn't realise my alkaline soil could have been the reason.

• Related Discussions

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 1

Q

Comments (250)
    Beautiful snow scene, Vapor. Wanna trade trees? Love those big, beautiful beech trees, especially the Tri-Color Beech. Green leaves with pink edges! Good to hear your wife is improving, Jim. She must be getting cabin fever. She deserves a day out, doing something she loves, when she's up to it. The weather is so different this year. We have snow coming tomorrow, too, but temps rising the next day so it'll melt. Every time we get snow, it's gone the next day. It's been more like a zone 8 winter. I'm not complaining! Trish, I keep forgetting to let you know I did some research on the feline renal failure sites my vet referred me to, and found that phosphorus binders are not necessary if they're on a therapeutic kidney diet, which she is. The binders are used if the cat won't eat prescription food. Daisy's numbers are good and she eats her prescription food. So far, so good. That will likely change as we progress into this awful disease. I'm glad it was helpful for your puppy. We were discussing this on another thread that's no longer active, that's why I'm bringing it up here. I bought some goat skin garden gloves 4 years ago and can't bring myself to use them. They're so pretty! Very soft. Stay safe in the bad weather, all you Midwesterners, Easterners and Canadians.
    ...See More

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 4

Q

Comments (164)
    Jim, please go ahead and start a spring thread when you have time. We appreciate all you have done keeping the seasonal threads going and making them lots of fun. Love all your crazy photos, too. I only worked 1 hr and 10 minutes. Too many interruptions, plus sore knees from crawling along on pavement, cleaning out the beds that border sidewalks. The whirligig is going so fast in the breeze I'll never get a pic of the thing. That cat really knows how to ride a bicycle. Diane
    ...See More

SUMMER is here... Seasonal thread part 1

Q

Comments (227)
    Hello everyone, this thread is moving very fast with all kinds of amazing pictures of roses and pets. Flowers thank you for such nice comments about Ragiku. I named her after one of my favorite anime character from Bleach (a popular Japanese series). Depending on the Kanji used it could be translated to chrysanthemum. In this series she is a shinigami, (death god) and her katana's soul was a very playful cat =) I really love Japanese and Egyptian everything. A Sphinx cat with a Japanese name was perfect for me. She is a super cuddler and wants to be the center of attention at all times. I really love love your pictures of Wildeve and quicksilver. Could you please tell me how is the repeat on quicksilver in the future. I am having a lot of trouble with the super healthy Kordes not repeating well, except for Bourdox. I would love to add quicksilver with that amazing color, but don't want any more super slow repeaters no matter how beautiful. I am glad you were able to get into your house, that could have been a very scary night outside. I like the suggested idea of a secret key just in case for the future. Diane, thank you Rangiku thinks she is a perfectly human little girl and she is a lot of fun. I just keep going back to your pictures of Evelyn and drooling over her beauty. Your garden is amazing and your tick infested fields are very beautiful to me, such a natural unspoiled beauty all around is hard to find in this super developed world where houses get too close together. Your JC are ginormous yellow beauties. I also love your shot of Golden celebration and its super globular blooms are incredible. Lisa I am really glad you are ok. You falling down sounds scary. One of my baby Mel's heritage has started growing a very good rate and it is 100% black-spot free without spraying. What a fabulous rose. Kelly all your roses and companion plants are lovely. I really like what you are doing. Your kitten looks like a sweet little angel and is very fortunate to have you as a family. Your Spike is super cool also. Pippa your Distant Drums looks fabulous. You mentioned not having it in the ground because you weren't sure on placement. What are your options? I think that round could blend really well in the garden with those soft colors. Trish I am so glad your little girl is improving. I know all those vet visits can get exhausting. I really love your pond and can't wait to see how it all develops around it. Hallo your Moonlight in Paris is incredible and you should keep posting lots of pictures to show her off. She looks very much like an Austin to me and the color is very sweet. Your pictures of Mary rose are great, she is one of my favorite Austins. Ann thank you very much for the nice comments about Rangiku. Your Portlandia is a very beautiful rose. I have looked at her several times on the Heirloom website, but had never seen pictures from someone who actually have her. Will keep an eye on her for the future see if I can get any info regarding blackspot resistance. Jim your hydrangeas are amazing and I love your geraniums.
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 2

Q

Comments (142)
    Diane, your Augusta Luise is so beautiful! Sure enjoy seeing those pictures. We had probably not more than about two inches of snow. It started Friday night into early yesterday morning. It never got above freezing yesterday, but began rapidly warming up today, the snow has already disappeared. We’re supposed to have mild weather for the next few days. Sometimes I think a big snow that would hang around for awhile would be beneficial, that’s very rare here, I’m not used to it. Thank you, I appreciate those kind words about my roses. I had almost the exact varieties of roses I wanted in the big bed and they did pretty good through about 2015, then a few of them started growing backwards, so I keep replacing them. Most of the ones planted along the front of my house seem to be hanging in there. The roses shown are less than half of the roses I have. Here‘s one that I hope gets with it next year. I’ve seen pictures of this one in full bloom that look so gorgeous! CRAZY LOVE
    ...See More
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Honey Dijon and Celosia together gets my vote, too. I'm thinking of planting my HD near a deep rose colored rose because of the rosy splotches on the petals. I kind of doubt mine will get as deeply golden as yours, but either way, I'm anxious to see blooms. Your Golden Buddha area might look like it needs some TLC to you, but I would love to see all that green. My garden looks like a hay field.

I love seeing those darling kitty faces, Jim. I agree that Cagney looks more delicate than Lacey, but that may be because of her health problems and less meat on her bones.

I'm sure I talk to Daisy more than I do to my husband because she is with me constantly. The three of us were in the kitchen and I said 'are you hungry, my sweet Pookie?' to Daisy, and my husband said 'no, I'm fine, and I wish you'd quit calling me that'.

Diane, I am positively green with envy. I would love to see the exhibit at your museum today. Cassatt's children are exquisite and Hassam's mottled softness appeals to me even more than Monet. I hope the snow will fall only after you're safely home again. Still no snow here. From inside, it looks like a sunny gardening day.

I do remember your bout with some crazy, unknown virus just before your surgery last year, Diane. It's scary not knowing a name for what ails you. That was an awful year for you and I'm glad it is far behind you, now.

I just ache for you, Trish. I wish you didn't have to breathe that awful smoky air. I hope it stays high up in the atmosphere and the wind blows it away from populated areas. Thank goodness for your beautiful, delicate looking teas. They are tough roses and can take it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Flowers, that's hilarious about "your sweet pookie" who is not your husband. I wouldn't want anyone to record some of the weird stuff I say to the cats--not that sweet pookie is weird. The light snow didn't prevent us from seeing the art, but it was a mixed bag for me. There were some lovely Hassam pieces, but not what I was expecting. I hadn't realized he had come out West and did a lot of painting in eastern Oregon and even into Idaho a little. So those paintings were extra interesting. There was only one Cassatt painting, "Spanish Dancer" which was fairly early, and not representative of her largest body of work, which were children and mothers. I also love her works influenced by Japanese prints, so none of that, either. The LA County Museum of Art has some of my favorite Cassatt pieces. I think one of the paintings I liked best was by a Northwest painter who specialized in Alaska paintings, and his Mount McKinley was exquisite (and I'm not big on mountains). There were no notes and artists lists for this show, and I can't remember most of the NW artists names. All in all, it was pretty good, except for not enough Cassett and the lack of decent notes on the paintings.

Trish, I haven't caught myself talking to the produce in the supermarket, but I carry on long arguments and conversations in my head about the most ridiculous things. I need someone to argue with. The news from Australia continues to upset me--so I can imagine how awful it is for you Australians. I think of your country as "the canary in the coal mine" for the rest of the world when it comes to global warming. The major report I recently saw showed everything from an awful conflagration advancing up the side of a mountain in the Blue Mountains, to koalas outside of Adalaide begging for sips of water from passing bicyclists. I've never seen anything more heartbreaking than those koalas. Also unnerving was a report of a 2 degree temp rise in the ocean near Western Australia, causing a massive die off of sea grass. All the carbon the grass sequesters will eventually find its way back into the atmosphere as a greenhouse gas. This is just happening. I so wish things were different for Australia right now. And dealing with your rock hard soil has got to be so discouraging, too. I just hope things get better soon for all of you.

Here's some purple from last season--Twilight Zone. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Yes, it's pretty bleak here, Diane. Did you see the ' Merry Crisis' mural? I can't figure a way of putting up a link. It depicts our 'beloved' PM drinking a Pina Colada in Hawaii while Australia burns. It was painted over 3 days later. I wonder who would have wanted that?! Twilight Zone is such a sumptuous purple! And your photo of him between the yellow rose (Golden Celebration?) and the pink rose (Evelyn?) is really something.

flowers, you did make me laugh with your 'sweet Pookie'. Your DH sounds nice.

Jim, I love those photos of Cagney and Lacey.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

I do hope it gets better soon in your area Trish, so disheartening.

flowers, that is very funny and cute, I loved it!

Diane, your Twilight Zone is so rich and beautiful, sure love it surrounded by the other beautiful roses too!

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Jim - I love the pics of Cagney and Lacey! Thanks for sharing!

Diane - Your garden is just amazing! I haven't kept up much with the thread - how is your winter going so far? Our winter rains were two months late so I had the longest rose season ever - until the first week of December which was great.

Lisa - I love hearing about your kitties and the wonderful photos. I'm so glad your Millie has made it for so long and seems to be doing well!

I got Connie's Sandstorm from Burling when she came in September to visit our rose group. This rose slowly developed a bud in November and by the first week of December or so, she bloomed. I think Connie is going to be a very good bloomer! Can't wait for the color variations.

Connie's Sandstorm

A representative of Weeks roses visited the rose group in November. He previewed some of their newer roses. I ordered Perfume Factory from Edmunds.

He also mentioned that Weeks was sending out Honey Dijon to a few nurseries. One of them is about an hour from my home so I hope to get there sometime in January. Is your Honey Dijon fragrant?

This year I'm focused on getting more odd ball roses so I just ordered two from Rogue Valley Roses. I know there's some issues with getting the correct roses and delays so I'm hoping for the best!

Autumn

Pam's Choice

I also ordered Oshun from RVR which I hope is as fragrant as described!

I'm getting Julie Andrews rose from Regan Nursery.

Regan had the Della Reese rose I've wanted for a long time but I was told it's not available. Edmunds is offering it so maybe I can get it from them.

I have no space so I've got to re-home some roses. Let's hope I can find homes, otherwise I'm going to need more pots!

Happy New Year everyone!

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Ann, I wish I lived closer to you

Oh wait, I am in the same predicament, so many roses coming with no designated space and yet I keep ordering.

Diane you are killing me with your Twilight Zone, so incredible. I love mine too, it is a great bloomer

Well, guess who turned one?

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Wonderful to see your picture of Connie’s Sandstorm, Ann! That’s not exactly the color I was thinking she’d bloom, but I know that’s a first bloom. I’m sure you’re going to get some way different colors in the heat. I love the roses Burling has bred herself for their great heat tolerance. I know if it does well in Visalia, it will be just fine here. You have some wonderful roses coming!

Thanks for all the votes for Celosia with Honey Dijon. I’m so limited right now in the cutting department. Only one person, MaryGW, preferred Honey Dijon alone. She had a feeling she’d be in the minority, and she was correct.

Trish, I feel sick every time I see what your country is going through on the news. It’s a terrible sight to see. All those thirsty Koalas make me think of all the wildlife that has surely perished in a horrific way. I’m afraid I agree with the mural you mentioned. I’m sure some government official heard or saw it and ordered it painted over. That PM belongs at home during such a crisis. I wonder how differently he might react if his OWN home was in danger.

Flowers, that really is hilarious about your DH, “Pookie”. I feel 100% better about all the talking I do with my kitties, now. Maybe it’s normal.

It’s cold out again today, but that’s nice. I’ve been planting chilled bulbs in containers, so the cooler temps help. Some years we get a heatwave at the wrong time, and everything blooms on short or nonexistent stems. It’s a bummer when that happens. Last night I was so tired that I left everything out on the patio overnight. Thank goodness our rain took a detour, and missed us this time. I have a really big mess of bulbs to sort out. I guess I had far more than I realized. I’m sitting on the patio with my empty cup of coffee looking over my remaining bulbs. I’m actually freezing cold out here, at 52F. There’s a little wind, and I’m going to have to get some more layers on before I get to work. No kitties had any desire to join me outside this morning. I just HAD to get out here to see what everything looked like in the light. It was dark out when I gave up last night. I only brought in my phone, the lamps, and left everything else strewn about. Yikes, it looks worse in the daylight!

I should be pruning roses, but there’s SO much to do! I know the bulbs have to be planted now. I’ll be glad to have them in a month or two. The roses will have to wait a little while longer. The Poseidon that I pruned in early December is already showing new leaves. I’m sure Poseidon will be an early bloomer this year.

Diane, I adore your Twilight Zone. I have the feeling it would be magenta here, although you also have hot dry summers, and alkaline soil No room for any new roses, anyway. Like Reine des Violettes, I’ll just have to admire it here on the forum. I actually had Burling set aside a RdV before one of my visits. I saw Kim Rupert (Roseseek), just before we headed out to Burlington Roses. He convinced me that Reine des Violettes would be miserable in my yard. I figured he knows what he’s talking about, so I took his advice and passed. It was awfully hard watching Burling pull “my” Reine des Violettes out of my order.

Well, I’m back inside the warmth of the house now. It’s so cozy inside that it’s going to be hard to go out to work in the cold. Cold didn’t used to affect me at all. I was always hot, and my kids called me “the heater police”, growing up. Until last year, I hardly used the heat. Now I’m cold to the bone in 50F So CA. I may need to put on a few pounds to keep me warmer. I think it’s a combination of age and thinness that’s making me feel colder than normal for the past two years. It’s kind of a new feeling for me to be so cold, but it has been cold by So CA standards. Even some of my roses are dropping yellow leaves from the cold.

Felicia is really dropping leaves. She’s in an area that gets the cold wind, so she’s shedding leaves more than most of the other roses. It’s interesting to me which roses are reacting to this fairly cool winter, and which ones don’t. It seems to be the Hybrid Musks and the Hybrid Perpetuals that are dropping yellow winter foliage. Boule de Neige is also yellowing and dropping some leaves, as are a few other Bourbon roses. Some years it never gets cold enough for any of my roses to show yellow foliage. The modern roses look unaffected and evergreen, while the Hybrid Musks show the most reaction to the cold.

I’m rambling on when I should be getting out there to work. I’m just enjoying the warm house so much, atm. Have a great day, everyone! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Kristine, your post popped up when I submitted mine. Azalea is so adorable! What a big girl she’s becoming so quickly. The time has gone so fast. She’s so cute in her pink tutu. Little girls are so much fun to dress. Pink, pastels, ruffles, and bows are all things I got to indulge in when Ingrid was a baby. She developed her own preferences FAR too soon to suit me. I don’t think I’ve seen anything ruffled or pink on my daughter since she was quite young. I miss dressing a little girl, although boys clothes have come a long ways in recent years. I’d sure like a little granddaughter to dress. A grandson would be equally welcome. I’m hoping to have some news to share on that front someday. Enjoy your sweet little Azalea. She’s so precious, and I’m so thankful you have her. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Lisa, I still can't get over the unique and eye catching color of Honey Dijon, and I love what you arranged in her bouquet. I think Golden Buddha is equally impressive, and I'll take your "mess" any day over what I'm currently looking out on. I still haven't cleaned the vole popsicle--ha, Yesterday was busy. Maybe I just like catching glimpses of my vanquished enemy.

Sara Ann, thank you. I love your "pink" thread and will be going there again shortly. I only have a few pink roses--true pink, that is--so I am impressed with your lovely collection.

Trish, now I don't feel guilty about mentioning what was also shown in that big report on Australia I viewed recently. It was Scotty in his speedo on boxing day. That is a photo I can't unsee. Bring on the brain bleach. Now, all you who read this, I hate to mention that Scotty is Trish's Prime Minister, and I take it from her comments, she is not a fan.....Twilight Zone is between Julia Child, a monster as big as a room, and Augusta Luise. The last two photos are of my newer TZ who is still smaller than big bro TZ. The purple flowers in front on little TZ are a favorite azalea type snapdragon that doesn't look quite like a snap. It has extra large blooms, too.

Ann, it's good to see you posting here, and thank you for your comments. I am a big admirer of your garden's roses, so congrats on your longest rose season ever this year and all the rain. We have had a pretty good precipitation season for a desert this year. I fondly remember our longest rose season, which also lasted until the first week in Dec, 2016, with Julia Child triumphing in the race to last the longest. That wonderful fall was followed by the worst winter ever, a real zone fiver that lasted forever. We were punished. I love your Connie's Sandstorm for its bloom structure and beautiful and subtle color. I checked out your links and am impressed with Autumn. Idaho has been forbidding shipment from Edmund's for several years--not sure why. I'm going to check again to see if they're off the naughty list yet.

Kristine, Happy Birthday to darling Azalea. Did she get to mess up her cake? Any pics of that? I hope you got a nice rest after the party. You need to grow some azalea type snaps in her honor. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Kristine, Azalea has the sweetest little face. Those huge dark eyes!

Lisa, my daughter insisted on wearing my son's outgrown black shorts when she was 3. Usually on a day when she was being very headstrong. I called them 'black shorts days' after a while. This was after her father died, and I wonder if it was mourning. Poor little thing - she adored him. As for being the 'heater police'!, my son would sit in front of the heater in a t-shirt. Grrrr. My temperature range (in which I feel comfortable) narrows each year. I'm now down to 70 to 75! I guess it's age. Good luck with all those bulbs.

Ann, I had to look at each one of your links. What an interesting collection. Nice that a couple of them are bred by Paul Barden. Connie's Sandstorm is most unusual. Wouldn't go with my Teas, but I can see it in your garden.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Kristine, when I opened this thread, I saw Azalea’s picture and my heart just about melted! What a little sweetheart! She’s so precious!

4 years ago

I melted when I saw her in that tutu

4 years ago

I figure I better dress her girly before she gets her own style.

She got a big yummy cupcake and stuffed it in to her face, hair highchair

and floor

This isn't my first rodeo so I stripped her down and covered the floor and had a wash cloth at the ready.

She sure loved sugar

World's most horrible tasting cake ever . I can't remember a cake so aweful that I threw it away

This One takes the cake

4 years ago

Diane, I've always thought pink roses were my favorite and do love them, but purples and lavenders are right up there at the top of the list. Yours have had a big part in making me aware of them and showing how spectacular they can be. You pair them up so beautifully with your other colors.

Glad the weather didn't keep you and Clare from the museum. I would also have been disappointed in lack of info about each painting, but it still would have been a thrill to see them.

Ann, I would be so excited to have those roses coming, especially Connie's Sandstorm and Autumn. Autumn is new to me. It looks like you'd get a surprise with every bloom. Can't wait to see them in your garden. And, why, for heaven's sake, isn't Della Reese more widely known?! Strong fragrance, 5" - what's not to love! Carruth roses usually do pretty well here, so I am going to think about that one. I could use some darker colors that aren't red.

Kristine, ooooh, what a sweet, sweet baby girl. She's precious. Yes, dress her like a little girl before she develops her own trendy taste. I love seeing little girls in dresses, and a bow in their hair is icing on the cake. She's really pretty.

Lisa, it's been a long time since I've heard anyone say 'maybe I need to put on a few pounds'. I lost a bunch with the flu, but it'll find me again.

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Kristine - I wish we did live closer together! Azalea is so adorable and it looks like she's holding on to a dog or. cat bowl. I hope your pets like Azalea and vice versa. The birthday cake looks wonderful!

Trish - I'm so sorry to hear about the fires and the impact on all living things there. Glad to hear that you and your family are relatively safe!

I called Regan's and found out they do have a Della Reese for me so everything is ok. One of my rose friends who has won many exhibitions has Della Reese and says that this is the biggest rose in his yard. Yikes! I'm keeping Della in a pot for now.

Ann

• Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

Azalea is as beautiful as her name! Love love the tutu.

Pet owners — don’t let the clueless make fun of you. We are entitled to love our animals as much as we want(in the case of cats, as much as they can stand. Dogs have no limits as we all know).

I refer to my darling Desmond as “my first grandchild.” He came to us in 2008, when my human son was still in college. Now he’s 31, and Desmond is still my only grandchild.

We like to watch dog shows on TV and tell our dogs, “None of them are as cute as you.” I’ve probably posted this picture before, but indulge me, please.

Desmond and Daisy.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Desmond and Daisy are really cute, Sylvia.

I noticed this picture of Beverly today, it’s a good example of how different the same rose can look, depending on when it blooms.

The same picture of Beverly that I posted earlier, big difference!

4 years ago

Ann, knowing that Regans has Della Reese, you're making it hard for me to resist. I have an order coming in April. With those and the ones I have waiting in the garage, I don't need any more roses. But, a deep rosy pink like DR would be perfect in a couple places I can think of without even trying. I will welcome seeing photos of yours as often as possible.

Sara Ann, what a huge difference a few degrees makes in how Beverly displays her color. Both as lovely as can be.

Sylvia, you are right, we can talk to our babies any old way we please. They understand us. Desmond and Daisy are super cutie pies. And, I have not seen that photo before. I'm not trying to turn this into a puppy forum, but I found this darling video online today. I can't stop watching it. it's called Puppy Apology. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vi3y1pz6M/

• mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

Even though we are all going nuts buying roses I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! And to Ktistene, your little girl is so cute! And Happy Birthday to her! And sorry your cake was crap to bad! And the rose pictures are gorgeous! And Happoy New Years 2020! Wow!

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Hi flowers - Regan is actually sold out of Della Reese but I reserved one on Nov 1 so I'm getting one next month! I believe Edmunds has it in case you can't live without it!

Della Reese

Ann

4 years ago

Thanks, Ann, but what I need to hear is that everywhere is sold out. I'm sure I'll regret letting one get away.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa, yes Cagney is smaller and both cats have very different personalities!

Nanadoll, Cagney is the sick kitty and so far so good with her taking meds...

WOW! The photos are awesome everyone! I have enjoyed reading everyones posts and

looking at everyones pics! :-)

Some roses!

My nephews cat..Love its markings!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Wow, Jim, that kitty is something with those markings. It looks like he's sleeping in someone else's chair, too. Isn't there a breed that has markings like that--supposed to look like its jungle cat forebears? What a stunning rose in your photo. What is it? I'm glad Cagney is taking her meds like a good kitty. I hope you're doing OK--your New Year's Eve has got to be more exciting than mine, but who needs excitement at my age. Have a good 2020 that gets better for you with each passing day. How can it be 2020 already--I thought it was 1958?

Sylvia, I love the photo of your cute grandchildren. My grandson is Finn, my chubby boy kitty.

Sara Ann, it's hard to believe those are the same very lovely rose. Augusta Luise can do some real changes, too. I think certain roses are just built that way.

Flowers, I loved the Puppy Apology, too. I'm going to watch it again. What exciting things are you doing tonight? My kids, granddaughters and their boyfriends are here, and were all playing board games (which I hate--sorry to you fans), and then they went downstairs to watch something. I had a hot fudge sundae and read a book. Much better. I will probably join in for annual "banging of the pans". It's hard to believe that Jim has already welcomed the New Year, and is probably in bed.

Trish, my thoughts are with you as Australia faces its awful challenges. The latest reports are not good, and I can hardly stand to look at the photos and videos. I agree that your PM is a real piece of work--did you see him in his speedo? Gah. Anyway, I hope for you that things are much better in the new year. How is your daughter doing...and her friend? Is Rosie through with the skin problem? Poor Clancy has had his skin problems for several years now, and no medicine nor four vets could help him. Still he persists, and he's quite old.

Happy New Year, Everyone. Get your pans out. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Gone but not forgotten, Blue Bayou and Blueberry Hill. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Yeeha! We banged the pans and drank some French champagne. My wimpy son in law slept right through it in his bed, while the rest of us disturbed the neighbors. Diane

4 years ago

When I was a kid, 2020 sounded like some far fetched futuristic year in a fairy tale.

Diane, my exciting evening already started with a nap. Now, I'm going to read, too. My 24 yr old granddaughter was given tickets for VIP seats for the Rose Parade which she couldn't afford on her own, no way, no how. She was also just given tickets to the Rams game. Things like that happen to her. My Pasadena kids are stocked up and ready to be stuck inside tomorrow. People will be camped out on their lawn and blocking their driveway. It's just the way it is.

I didn't know, or had totally forgotten, that you had Blue Bayou and Blueberry Hill. Pray tell why they're gone. Do you have any pics of them? Should I forget about trying either of those? Is that Angel Face above? Those ruffles are the best.

Your son-in-law must have an early morning tomorrow. I'm still using the dented pots and pans my kids banged together on New Years back when they were grade schoolers.

Jim, it's a real plus that Cagney takes her meds like a good girl. Amazing how strong and squirmy they can get when they don't want something.

Yes, Trish, do bring us up to date on your daughter's friend and Rosie's condition. Your daughter, too. She is going through a painful slow grieving process.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Diane, does your son in law wear earplugs? I envy him being able to sleep through it. I luckily didn't see our Great Leader wearing speedos, but just had to google it after your posts. Fortunately the photo that appeared was of him behind other people. Still none too attractive though.

The fires continue to burn. Lives lost - a few human, millions of the animal kingdom.

Thanks for asking Diane and flowers. My daughter's friend is having some tests done later this week, and the results will be in in a few days time. He appears to be doing quite well so far, but hard to say till the test results are in. She is feeling much better at the moment. Rosie has had another visit to the vet, as she was scratching again and her eye was weeping again. The swelling on her face does look much better, though, and hopefully, after another couple of weeks of the anti-itching drug, she will be ok.

Jim, I love the photo of your nephew's kitty. Especially against that cushion!

4 years ago

Trish, it's good to hear your daughter is doing better. The fact that they are still doing tests on him indicates maybe they're still trying to find ways to lengthen his life or at least make him more comfortable. I hope Rosie's itchies will be well soon. Poor baby. They're so dependent on us.

Jim, I believe your nephew's cat is a Bengal. Beautiful build with luxurious fur and very smart. Believe it or not, it's illegal to own them in some states because they have leopard in their ancestry, but they are domesticated house cats. I'd love one, but they're probably too active a breed for me.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nanadoll, wonderful photos! The cat is sleeping on Ezras couch...lol...Rmember Ezra?

This is little Ezra now...

Happy New Year everyone!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Happy New Year everyone!

What a handsome little guy, Jim!

Although I do enjoy this time of year and the extra time off, (I’ll be off the rest of this week) I’m always glad to get back to somewhat of a normal routine. It will probably take about a week to get acclimated. 2019 was quite a year at work. It began in late March when the other female co-worker quit. It was stressful for awhile, but things are going good now. I do appreciate my boss very much, he’s been great!

For everyone who has had more than their share of trouble, I hope and pray that 2020 brings you good things. I’m not good at expressing my feelings, but my heart does ache for you. None of us have just sunshine and roses, but sometimes for some it seems like when it rains it pours! I want everyone to have way more sunshine!

4 years ago

Happy 2020 ! Good thoughts Sara Ann, more Sunshine indeed.

Well, as usual I didn't make it to midnight. There was so much racket and Azalea slept through . But step on creaky floor board and she is wide awake

Jim, Ezra is absolutely adorable!

Trish, my thoughts are with you. What we are seeing on the news is nightmarish. I feel so sad for the animals and of course the loss of life and homes . Praying that this fire is put out quickly

Looking for an exciting 2020

Blessings on your new decade filled with good health and peace of heart

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!! I was in bed and asleep by 9:30 pm. I did hear the commotion at midnight, but we ( 3 kitties in my bed last night), rolled over and went back to sleep. I had a 24 hour stomach bug that was swift and furious. It’s totally gone today.

Jim. Ezra has grown so much! I wouldn’t have recognized him. Sometimes I wish kids could stay little. They are so cute, and usually their problems are much easier to fix than when they are grown. Ezra is a real cutie pie! I love your nephews kitty! It does indeed look like a bengal, or part bengal. I know they are pretty active cats. The breeds that come so directly from wild cats can be a handful. I’m not up for the kind of attention and stimulation they require. My son sees all sorts of exotic cats at work. He says some can be very difficult to handle. He’s called “the cat whisperer” at work, because he’s so good with cats. He’s equally good with dogs, and says he’d rather deal with an aggressive, terrified dog over a terrified cat, any time. Jim, I’m glad Cagney is so good about taking meds. Sebastian is incredibly well behaved at the vets, but giving him pills or oral liquid meds at home is truly awful. My son thought I was exaggerating, until I asked him for help. He now agrees that Sabby is the worst cat to orally medicate he’s EVER dealt with. Even with the two of us,( and one of us gives cats oral meds as part of his daily job), it’s a terrible mess. The last time Sebastian had a urinary infection, I paid a little extra for a one time injection of antibiotics. It was well worth it.

Trish, I’m glad to get an update on your daughter and her friend. I’ve been wondering how he was doing. I’m so very glad your daughter is now SO nearby. Sometimes we just need to be together, even if it doesn’t change things.

Sara Ann, you expressed yourself beautifully. Your comment about “everyone who has had more than their share of trouble”, and “hoping and praying that 2020 brings you good things”, really hit home. 2019 was an incredibly difficult year for me, in more ways than most of you know. I’m pretty open, but I haven’t shared some of the most difficult things. I’m all for a 2020 full of blessings and good things! I’m really hoping my niece, Sarena, will be alright. She’s having her surgery on Tuesday morning. I’m praying the cancer hasn’t spread to other places, again. She’s so young, (25) and has only been married 15 months.

I DO have some good news to share that’s starting my 2020 off happily. My daughter is expecting a baby! I was told the day after Christmas, but wasn’t allowed to tell anyone until the in-laws were told. Last night, they announced that it’s a girl! I was home sick, but I received some wonderful pictures and videos of the big reveal. I’m thrilled that she 14 weeks along, and seems to be “safe” this time.

Finally, some good news! I’m SO excited! Lisa

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Lisa, that's wonderful news, and what a lovely photo.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

Lisa, congratulations!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Congratulations Lisa! Being a grandma really is so much fun! It’s all everybody says it is and more!

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Thank you, Trish and Summers. I’m beside myself with joy! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Thanks, Oursteelers! We must have cross posted. I knew she was expecting when I wrote a few days ago, but only found out last night that it’s a girl, and that could officially tell everyone. I’m really looking forward to being a grandma. I can’t wait! Lisa

4 years ago

Congratulations Lisa!!! Expecting a grand baby is the best, and a girl, you might as well kiss your credit cards goodbye . What fun to dress those little girls.

I just found out that my grandaughter is due to have a baby boy in July .That makes 13 great grandchildren and it never gets .old.

Lisa , prayers for your daughter to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy happy baby girl

4 years ago

Congratulations, Lisa!! You are in for the ride of your life. This is why we have kids, right, so we get grand babies. Just kidding. I loved every minute with my own babies, but grand babies are something special.

Jim, Ezra is a good looking little guy. Love seeing how these little ones grow.

And, congratulations to you, Kristine!! What a joyful way to start the new year for you and Lisa!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Congratulations Lisa and Kristine, such wonderful news for you both.

Lisa, several times I’ve thought of you, and was hoping that soon you would have some good news once again.

Hoping that there‘s a good outcome for your niece Sarena too.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

What a wonderful way to start the new year—with babies!! Congrats to you Lisa and Kristine, and prayers for uncomplicated, easy pregnancies! Happy 2020 and many rosey wishes to you all!! :-)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Congratulations Lisa!

Original Author
    4 years ago

STARTING A NEW THREAD::::: Thank You everyone for the awesome posts and photos! You guys and Gals are the best!

click below:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5845415/winter-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-2