SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Rubbish skip - a new start (and a moan)

User
13 years ago

A massive skip arrived today for the garden renovation so we have been having a frenzied tossing of rubbish. Good grief, the sheer amount of stuff. Everything in the garden has been pruned to its limits of survival and it is sink or swim for a few of the roses. Madame Gregoire, the faithless tart, is getting beheaded as payback for its desertion to the next door neighbour - all I get is the gnarly old stem. This year, I have been especially harsh (although a little mantra - 'growth follows the knife' (Fred Loads, english gardener) is running through my head. Funnily enough (or not), the ruthless chucking is in inverse proportion to what is actually happening in my house - which is even more people and animals staying there. As well as youngest son and gf, middle daughter (pregnant) has now been reconciled with the French tattooist. When daughter first told me, I misheard and thought she said he was a trapeze artist. Tattooist? Trapeze artist? hmmm. Obviously, I am keen to encourage paternal involvement so what difference can it make, having another person around? Oh yeah....and he has a dog. A lovely friendly obedient but bloody immense dog - a mastiff(horse) Mogwai/Moggers, has bonded with the new cat Otto, despite the size differential to be about 200:1, and there is a lot of chasing up and down stairs. We have many stairs in our house. And no stair carpets, just wood. Armageddon. Daughters cat is wary and hostile though. Terribly put out over having Otto around, there is now another huge beast ....which has usurped her place on the bed(although how the three of them can actually fit in a single bed is beyond belief as daughter is also mastiff sized)and the house is a warzone with vicious staring contests. Elderly collie has insisted on matriarchal rights but there is a flexible pecking order going on. just to round up the numbers, youngest son also has a new antfarm while DinL has suggested we adopt baby hedgehogs. Are they f*****g insane?!

I do have plans to make use of boyish energy and bully them into shifting the many loads of rubble and flagstones. I am somewhat incapacitated because I have a huge boil on my ass (just wanted to share this with you all) making me walk as though I have spent a life in a saddle (instead of a settee) The likelihood of smirking is high enough to repress my usual hypochondriac moaning (but I can invent a fictitious ailment at any time as long as I remember to mention 'menopausal' - a great excuse for any abberrant behaviour, I find)

Our garden, while stuffed with some lovely plants, has been a disgrace, really, and certainly no advertisement for our profession, as landscapers. This year, It will be unexplored territory and it is with considerable apprehension and no little amount of excitement, that we get the garden sorted. Then we can always hide away from domestic mayhem, in the greenhouse.

Comments (21)