SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Which of These 4 Reds is Best?

I want to add a couple more reds - here is what looks good to me. I would like to pick 2 out of the 4 [if I can!!]. Can anyone comment?

Kardinal - I have seen this one - beautiful bush,clear red but no scent

Firefighter - have heard good things about this one

National Velvet - grew it long years ago - liked it alot, wondering if it is as good as my memory says it is

Legends - a new one, supposed to be huge - sounds enticing

Even though I have Mr. Lincoln and love him, I dont like reds that "blue" - like a clear, chinese red. I just cant decide on which of these as I dont have enough information about them. Or is there another red that I am leaving out? Thanks for any help!

Judith

Comments (49)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

'Firefighter' is a smokey dullish red, still a true red, but I would not call it a clear and pure color. The real attraction of 'Firefighter' is the spectacular fragrance and high bloom productivity and long, straight stems. One quirk is that the buds are small and look misshapen, yet become beautiful fat flowers as they open.

'Geranium Red' is an orange-red here, not a true pure red. Again, spectacular fragrace and productivity, but with an OGR form.

What about 'Ingrid Bergman', or 'Beloved'. 'IB' is highly reliable and productive with a very pure color. 'Beloved' is a sibling of 'Veterans Honor'. It has a slightly deeper, richer color than VH with excellent form and it lasts and lasts and lasts. Only a light fragrance.

Yes as Chuck said, so many reds, so little time...

• Related Discussions

Pin or Red. . . which is the best Oak?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, If I had room for only one, I guess the Q. Rubra N. Red oak would be it. The branches will get thicker and not slope down. If you have room the Pin oak has great fall color for me as Beng has mentioned. The Nuttall's is a red oak family oak, and mine have still got their leaves on them although they are brownish red, I'm happy with them. I know fall color is nice to have, and is the reason some add certain trees to their yard, but, I have to say, I have a Quercus Velutina with great form, and it got kinda orange for a while this fall, one over the mountains had yellow fall color, but, the form of the tree was perfect, even if mine never has much fall color, I just love it's form, and can't wait for it to mature. I can't help but think that starting an oak from an acorn puts the tree at an advantage. I know they grow laterals etc. I know that they do, but, Dax sent me an acorn for a Burr oak, and I direct sowed the acorn, and I have seen articles saying Burr oak sometimes have taproots that go down 7 feet sometimes. Okay, whatever, maybe this one hasn't got a taproot that deep, but, I do know that, if there is a drought that lasts a while, I do not have to baby that seedling, and that Burr seedling doesn't have to take a year or 2 to replace roots instead of putting out growth. If I can choose, I'll choose direct sowing seed. I am going to direct sow Hickory seeds after seeing a post on here where the kid is holding a Hickory in a very long pot, and the taproot is longer than the pot. I am sure the trees will be okay in a rootmaker pot etc. But, I would rather keep that taproot in situ if I am not moving the seedling anyhoo, ya know? I am not knocking the way some peeps do it, but my choice is direct sow. There are situations it must be done in pots. Poaky1
    ...See More

best dbl red ; best coral; inexpensive fernleaf?

Q

Comments (6)
    Its hotter than hades out there, so I thought that I would while away some time on the GW. My favourite double red peonies are Red Charm and Henry Bockstoce...both very impressive in their own way...and as one stops blooming the other one is ready to start.I have Pink Hawaiian Coral and Coral Supreme... of the two I think that I favour Coral Supreme as it is a little more Coral toned.Regarding the fernleaf, I can't help as I am north of the border. I have the double fernleaf and it is very nice, blooming as it does before any other peony that I have. Hope this helps you decide.
    ...See More

Which "Red" varieties are best suited for the Myrtle Beach, SC area?

Q

Comments (11)
    I am just south of Mrytle Beach, in Charleston. I am growing in ground still, root knot nematodes not a problem yet. Still get lots of tomatoes. Key is to get an early start. Be prepared to set some out a little earlier than you should and then protect them on cold nights. You may only get two cold nights in all of April. If you can protect them just those two nights, you will get a 30 day growing advantage. This makes a huge difference in plant growth, number of buds, and number of pollinated blooms before the humidity makes the pollen too tacky to work. This will happen some time in June. I leave my cages off so I can cover easily if necessary. I put the cages on after threats are past. I stagger plant out in case my gamble fails. At least some will survive. Try Big Beefs. They are tough, productive, resistant, red, and taste good. They are a good bench mark for other varieties. You can pick them up at the big box stores, but cannot not always count on real early in this region. As the humidity increases, your plant will cease pollinating(buds will be plentiful though) and the heat will normally cause a shut down in August. It will look alive, but the heat here impairs the function for normal processes. If it lives through summer, it may produce new buds in the fall. But the heat damage from the summer is pretty severe. Sometimes, it is best to start fall with new plants. Or just skip it if you have a good season. I used my fall gardening time to establish a winter garden. Since the ground never freezes, and there are many cold hardy plants that can easily handle 22 or down to 18, a winter garden makes a lot of sense. It is almost impossible to grow normal spring varieties like Lettuce (bolts in March) or carrots (gets woody) outside of winter, and easier than falling down to grow in the winter. To see the possibilties check the vegetable growing section New Year's Eve harvest post.
    ...See More

Best functional layout of dishrack 4 island with sink for family of 4?

Q

Comments (6)
    Bosch offers inexpensive clips for holding plastic items in place. Good for lids and plastic stuff that turns over. http://www.bosch-home.com/us/store/accessories/dishwashing/accessories/baskets-and-holders/small-item-clips/00423712 Check the manual to see which clips fit which model. The quick cycle is very useful.
    ...See More
  • lucretia1
    15 years ago

Great to see the photo of Geranium Red in the PNW--I have one on order, and can't wait to get it in the ground.

If you'd like a small, interesting red, Scarlet Moss is a great little rose. Beautiful dark green leaves, lots of interesting moss, brilliant red blossoms.

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

Alec's red is supposed to be a good rose. One of it's parents is Fragrant Cloud, so it probably leans away from the blue spectrum, and it's fragrant too. It's recommended in "the Organic Rose Garden" as one that is healthy, and doesn't need spraying or special care. The author says it averages 4" tall. Help me Find describes it as crimson and strongly fragrant. Good things are said on the references tab.

I'm not sure if this is the color you're looking for but just thot I'd mention it; it's one I'm considering.

That Scarlet Moss looks nice, Lucretia.

Gala

• carla17
    15 years ago

Judith, have you ever considered the tea, Francis Dubreuil? It is not a red red but fragrant. Just a suggestion. I only grow a handful of reds.

Carla

• pauline-vi-8
    15 years ago

I hear a lot about Fire fighter on here to, though I do not have it myself.

My favourite red, other than Crysler Imperial(I know you do not like the ones that go blueish) is Loving Memory. You can check it out and my description of it on my blog below. It is on the first page!

Good luck with your choices.

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Blog

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Kardinal had a brief fling as an Exhibition Rose -- at least it did in CA.
    We grew it at that time.
    The thing that doomed it for Exhibition (IIRC) was the size of the blooms.
    They made 'Olympiad' look huge.

FWIW, in my climate, 'Olympiad' is still a top-notch red HT for the garden.
    It's a glorious, clear red, the form is dependable, and EYE can smell it.
    (For me, it has a light but penetrating sweet-fruity fragrance.)

As to 'Barcelona' (Tea, Kordes, 1930) -- the rose in commerce as
    'Francis Dubreuil' -- It is a lovely rose, and fragrant. It grows best
    when budded. But it is the sort of dark, black-edged rose that blues a bit.

Jeri

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

Beloved is a prolific bloomer, clear red blossoms, but must be sprayed for BS or will defoliate.
    -terry

• catsrose
    15 years ago

I'll second Lili Marlene as the truest reddest red. No blueing, no pinking, rich as chocolate decadence.

• markiz37
    15 years ago

Pride of England - clear red, healthy, no scent.

{{gwi:211881}}

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That Pride of England is something! I read about it on helpmefind, and it is apparently a large rose and a large bush. Blooms lots. It certainly looks worth trying! I dont have alot of reds - I have Alec's Red [and love it], Crimson Bouquet [a young band, hasnt bloomed yet], Black Cherry, L.D. Braitwaite [just bought this from Chamblees], Traviata [like the blooms, color], Cadenza, Cameron Bohls, Dublin Bay, Griff's Red, Skyrocket, Cramoisi Superior [just purchased], Dortmund, Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial [just purchased] - so dont have alot of red. Have tried Francis Dubrieul - loved the fragrance, may get him again, but he was puny. Sounds like Kardinal wont be big enough - I just recall it bloomed alot and was a lovely shade of red. I want a really big, clear red rose. This is why I was wondering if Legends might work. I have heard good things about Ingrid Bergman - does she have a large bloom? And what about Crimson Glory? I know its very fragrant....what about blooms size? I have so many to plant, and have ordered alot I "have" to have, so I am trying to make a feeble attempt to behave myself.......which is why I would like to whittle this down to one - or two - red ones. I appreciate all the comments and photos! Love that Pride of England......anyone else grow it?
    Judith

• markiz37
    15 years ago

Ingrid Bergman - clear red, healthy, gets 3 feet tall and 2,5 feet wide, big bloom size, no fragrance

{{gwi:211882}}

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

I think Kordes bred Kardinal as a florist rose--- it produces beautiful blooms and repeats well, as I recall. I grew it back in Ohio but think it would do well in east Texas heat. YES the blooms are on the small side, but so are the blooms of Kordes floribunda "Lavaglut" and I absolutely LOVE that one too!

• jerijen
    15 years ago

And what about Crimson Glory? I know its very fragrant....what about blooms size?

*** Blooms I had were of medium size.
    Crimson Glory is an old classic, and wonderfully fragrant.
    It didn't grow well here own-root.
    And it is one of those rich old red roses with a regal purple tone.

Jeri

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

Ingrid Bergman is my best by far. I live in a very hot dry climate. She is unbeatable.
    Kathy

{{gwi:211883}}

{{gwi:211884}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like Firefighter and Kardinal are out. I really, really like Pride of England and Ingrid Bergman. But I really am curious about Legends.....oh well, whats one more rose??? I am getting all 3. Since there were no comments on National Velvet, I am assuming it was not a popular rose with much to recommend it. I just remember it was such a beautiful clear red....Kathy, you and Mark did it for me with the photos of Ingrid, and the Pride of England.....I will just experiment and see what Legends will do.....those are some gorgeous photos! Hope mine will look like that!
    Judith

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Crimson Glory is a must-have for anyone loving red roses. The fragrance especially is in a class by itself.

{{gwi:211885}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

I did forget to mention......am going to have to have Crimson Glory - that, and Chrysler Imperial are must have reds.....I have neglected getting too many reds because I am so in love with apricots and mauves - but want a few outstanding reds this year.
    Judith

• ken-n.ga.mts
    15 years ago

Myself, I like Vet. Honor. Once established it is a great, dependable red. Kentucky Derby is also a fantastic red. I grew Kardinal for a bunch of yrs when I lived in SE FL. Loved it. Tons of blooms all yr long with straight, thick canes. Made fantastic bouquets. I'm going to have to get Kardinal again and see how it likes the Ga. mountains.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

I would also vote for Lili Marlene and Olympiad. With my spray program, both of these are clean. Lili Marlene was in bloom or was fixin' to bloom literally every day last summer. Before I added Messenger to my sprays, it was a blackspot prone plant. With the Messenger, it was totally clean. The plant gets only about 2-1/2 to 3 ft tall and about 2 ft wide, so it is rather compact. I'm just glad that this one and Olympiad, for that matter, do reasonably well for me here. I'm curious also about Pride of England, but I don't have one....yet. I don't know where you are in Texas, but if you are anywhere close to Tyler, there is some kind of a big public rose garden there that you might want to visit to see what they have and how the plants look in that part of the state.

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

I wonder where I can buy Crimson Glory budded. Does anyone know? Regan's doesn't have it. I have heard such raving about it. "I cannot LIVE without my CG," that sort of thing.

Etoile de Hollande, has bigger blooms, have people been happy with it?

Speaking of Rootstock, BTW, I'm thinking of ordering from Hortico. This is what they say:

"Many of our roses are budded on Rosa multiflora seedlings, some shrub roses on Rosa rubiginosa seedlings, and a few others on Rosa canina seedling rootstock. We use seedlings in order to combat the spread of viruses."

How will those root stocks do in my area? I think I've only had Dr. Huey. The reason I ask is because I heard that Fortuniana rootstock would be a mistake for my area.

-Gala

Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to start a new thread on Crimson Glory. I dont find too many places that carry it, and want to know if its better on own roots or grafted. It sounds like a rose worth having, and doesnt seem to be easily attainable anymore.
    Judith

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

Good Idea Judith, I see that you've started it on the Antique Roses Forum.

-G

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

For Rozegardener - Hortico does not have the best reputation. Their roses are very small and do not always do well. Last year I ordered three roses from Hortico and two of the three were fine and one didn't grow and died.

• russellmuegge
    15 years ago

Veteran's Honor is not on your list, but it is a true red. I get florist size blooms from mine and people comment about how it looks like it came from the florist. It has weak stems, but the blooms make up for that in my opinion.

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

I have bought Crimson Glory own-roots from Roses Unlimited, Vintage, and Amity Nursery, and I have bought grafted Crimson Glory plants from Growquest Nursery and Hortico. The own-root plants have not done as well as the grafted ones, and I potted up a couple of own-root CG plants because they appeared to be failing in my soil. There are very few nurseries supplying grafted Crimson Glory that I could find, a real shame. The Growquest plants I believe are on Dr. Huey, and I think the Hortico plant is on Multiflora root stock. One of the Growquest Crimson Glories is my best specimen. However, Growquest owes me for two plants I bought from them that were never delivered. I think they are in bankruptcy. The Hortico plant is doing fine, but I have been growing it in a pot. I do wish other nurseries would supply this wonderful rose, my favorite variety, on grafted root stock, or does someone know of a nursery that would do it on request?

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

CurlyDoc:

Hmm, I have called Growquest several times and they haven't called me back. They had a rose I want very much on the website, but but when I tried to order it, they said it wasn't in yet, call back after Christmas. Now I can't get a hold of them. Is that what's going on with you, I mean that you can't reach them? When did you order your plants? This is terrible! I hate to see these nurseries and rose suppliers go out of business! Do you have another ph # than the one on the website, where I might be able to reach someone? Thanks for mentioning your experience with Growquest, since a lot of us are placing orders right now.

Athena, After I read your warning, I checked Garden Watchdog, and it confirmed your opinion. I read the negative reviews and now I know what to watch out for. I will keep my order small and only order those roses I can't find anywhere else, for now. After all they are very far away from Calif. Let's all hope they stay in Business though, and improve, as a source of hard to find roses and grafted roses. I hear the sons took over. I think it's worth noting that they are floundering. Still, some people have positive experiences, so I hope people will continue to place orders with them. Just know that there is more of a risk; so, only take a risk you can afford to take. Athena, Thank-you very, very much for giving me the heads-up! I was considering a large order.

BTW, Hortico's website says that their roses are grafted onto seedling-grown R. multiflora, R. rubrignosa, and R. canina, to prevent viruses. One negative reviewer was furious, stating (his belief) that that a rose he received was grafted onto Dr. Huey, and accusing them of buying cheap, inferior roses from the US and then selling them back to us. Please everyone, please don't take this all too seriously. For all I know, he's drunk, out of his mind, or is bearing a grudge. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a rumor. My question is: How does one determine which rootstock was used, other than letting it grow out?

Thanks all,
    -Gala

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Gala -- I don't know about Hortico using Huey, but I DO know of at lease one case where an Austin was used as rootstock.

A friend, who is very knowledgeable (and is in the nursery business) says that Hortico uses as rootstock whatever is handy.
    Given the Austin-As-Rootstock adventure, I tend to believe him.

Another nurseryman friend said that Hortico is not-infrequently careless about getting identities straight.
    He mentioned this one day while he and I were contemplating my Hortico-purchased "Marchesa Boccella,"
    which grew as a ground-cover rose. (Dangedest thing you ever saw.)

Jeri

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Rozegardener, I'm restarting my efforts to get my two potted Crimson Glory plants that I ordered from Growquest in March 2008 and paid for in May 2008 with my PayPal account. I just sent an email to sales@growquest.com to check on the order. I'm encouraged to see that Chris Gilchrist is still on the website of SurfandSierra.com, apparently another business name of Surf and Sierra Wholesale that does large specimen orders, while Growquest does the smaller orders. There is a phone number for Growquest at 805-253-0137 to leave a message, so I will go that route as well. We'll see how it goes, but this vendor is one of the few out there that sells grafted Crimson Glory plants, and the previous bare root Crimson Glory plants I got from them did pretty well. Other numbers for Chris Gilchrest are 559-802-8066, 805-453-1538.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Unless I can find Crimson Glory as a body bag or potted rose at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes or some other nursery, I couldnt find it grafted anyplace but Hortico. I have always had good luck with them - though I have heard from others who havent - so will just take my chances.

Good luck with Growquest.....I have never ordered from them but they had some I wanted and I would call, they said they would get back to me on availability and never did and could never get them back on the phone. I think they need lessons in business etiquette. Dont think I will waste my money on them. Be persistent about what is owed you, stay at it. Squeaky wheels get the grease. They will give you what you want if you stay at it.......Good luck!
    Judith

• Molineux
    15 years ago

For purity and intensity of color there really is no competition. OLYMPIAD is the rose you want. I've never seen another red rose like it. The color is R-E-D. Bright, glowing, primary red. Exhibition quality flower form, long/strong stems, and extended vase life. The medium size bush is attractive and the glossy foliage is the perfect foil for blossoms.

It only has one fault: NO fragrance - zone, zip, zada. Jeri might be able to smell it but the rest of us can't.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Well, Crimson Glory is at my Home Depot now! Just saw it yesterday, and I'm wishing I bought it. I opted for Double Delight. I'll have to go back today because it's very tempting!

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

CurlyDoc:

From Garden Watchdog: The only company that GrowQuest is affiliated with is Surf and Sierra LLC. But when I search Surf and Sierra on Google, several sites come up with Chris Gilchrist on all of them, including Growquest, tho the names are somewhat different. It sounds to me like GrowQuest is Gilchrist's company. On garden watchdog there are A LOT of negative reviews for his companies, but whatever, I wanted the rose, that's the only place I could find it, and I received an order form from Growquest, so I just bought it over the internet. I guess that might be stupid, of me, if they are in Bankruptcy, but if they need money and one is in the field, I hope they send it to me. I paid thru a google acount, is that bad? Wish Me luck, I'm just wingin' it. I'm tired of searching for rose varieties on the internet, when I have real roses right outside that miss me. If you have a rare rose, or an especially good rose and you love it, take care of it, people, because you may never be able to get another one.

They have the money now, it's one silly rose, and I hope their business succeeds. Thanks for the Numbers, CurlyDoc.

I would have liked to order the Crimson Glory also, but I think I'll wait at least until my order comes thru. Will you please let me know, CurlyDoc, if you receive yours? In fact, if anyone is receiving anything from Growquest or Surf and Sierra, will you let us know, please, how it went?

BTW, I just checked to see it you could send me an email from "my page" and that button isn't there anymore. What's with that?

Thanks for telling me your experiences, JeriJen and all.
    I guess we should have a nursery feedback thread on the forum. It may be more accurate than the official review sites.

So, how does one tell from observation which rootstock they have, other than growing a cutting of it?

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Gala, did you actually read the negative reviews on GWD about GrowQuest? You should, it's very enlightening. It is my understanding that in addition to bankruptcy he has been arrested for fraud in the past. There are quite a few threads on here concerning GrowQuest, if you will just do a search. He has taken a lot of peoples money and never sent them the roses they ordered.

Carol

Original Author
    15 years ago

I hate to look at Growquests webpage because they have several roses I want and cant get anywhere else. I have not ordered from them because of their terrible reputation. I am wondering......with all those roses listed (IF they even have them) it would seem surely that they would have to do something to stay in business - like send the product when it is paid for. Has anyone had any good experiences with them? There are 3 roses I would really like to have, but just cant see fit to throw money away if I wont get the roses........
    Judith

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

Well, CurlyDoc said he THINKS they are in Bankruptcy, but I googled GrowQuest and Bankruptcy, "Chris Gilchrist" and fraud and didn't come up with anything. So I figured at the worst he's in danger of going bankrupt. Which covers, well, most businesses these days. Maybe they're just too busy to talk, isn't this the busiest time of year for growers and nurseries? I'm not saying I know better, but what are the facts? We can throw around words like bankruptcy and fraud, but it probably would show up on the internet if it was true. In searching for it, I don't find any evidence of it. Let's try to give people that serve us the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad I don't have to grow a rose bush and pack it and ship it, and pay employees and taxes, for $34 dollars. I don't know how they do it.

What I am reading, most often, is that he, the owner of the company, called back unhappy customers, tried to make good, refunded money, or whatever to please customers over a one plant order. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to delegate, maybe he needs to make changes in his business practices. But it seems like he's trying. The way I see it, is that businesses are run by people, not necessarily geniuses or saints. I try not to expect perfection from humans anymore, and I spend a lot less time frustrated. If I eventually get this rose I'll be thrilled, and better late than never.

I have looked everywhere for the rose I want. The only places that have said they might be able get it for me are Growquest and Hortico, and Hortico says they aren't in yet, pay to place an order and wait. Based on what I've been reading about Hortico, I'll bet that Hortico's are on order from Growquest! It seems kind of silly, when it's probably grown right here in CA to ship it to Ontario, and then back to me!

So along with $34. I'm sending good energy.

God Bless You, GrowQuest, Surf and Sierra, and Chris Gilchrist, whoever you are! Thank-you for providing beautiful plants for our pleasure. I wish you good karma, success, and prosperity. If you ship that Blue Nile rose bush, that was ordered today, by D. Watson, to Santa Cruz, I'll write you a glowing report. I'm betting on you coming through.

-Gala

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Gala, since you are relatively new to this forum, I wanted only to warn you. I have seen threads for at least 3 years on this forum and other forums within Gardenweb about Growquest, Chris Gilchrist, and the fact that he takes money, and doesn't deliver the trees, roses or whatever you order from him. One of the nicest and most honest people on these forums was one of the people he scammed.I have seen the F ratings at the BBB in the county he operated in before he moved. I certainly didn't mean to offend you and I hope that your experience will be different than most have been. I wish you the best of luck.

Carol

Original Author
    15 years ago

I was at Walmart this evening, and they were just putting out their body bag roses! I looked for Crimson Glory but didnt see any. I did spot two Mirandys and got one, and a Pink Peace. I dont know why I feel this urge to grab a couple of body bags when I have all these really nice roses coming in the mail.....just this urge to see if I can get them to grow.....and someone told me what a good rose Mirandy was. They were only $4.74.....so a cheap thrill!

Oh, and I emailed Growquest - it will be interesting to see if I get a reply.
    Judith

• rozegardener
    15 years ago

From what I can tell, Growquest and Surf and Sierra are still in business, still filling orders. If so, we don't want them to go out of business, do we? When businesses fail, a lot of people lose their jobs, it's hard on families, people suffer.

If someone is a con man, why be a grower? It's so much work. Along comes a freeze, and there go their orange trees, orders waiting or not. The price of gas goes up, the price of everything goes up, and suddenly they're losing money. The price of gas goes down, but the price of everything that went up, doesn't go back down. Someone else in the chain doesn't fulfill their commitment, and the whole thing backs up. So he ran out of Crimson Glory roses, and he hasn't refunded the money? He's probably trying to produce some more so he can still make the sale. CurlyDoc isn't complaining, from what I can tell. His Growquest CG is his best specimen. That's what I want, good roses, and I, personally, am willing to wait, to give them some business, and hope they make it.

When people are dissatisfied they have every right to complain. But when people are satisfied, they're not likely to write a review. The customer isn't always right; there is a lady on GWD who after 3 days having not received her order of ladybugs, has written 2 negative reviews and is saying: "please don't anybody order anything from this company ever again!" She wants to ruin someone over a $10. order that she probably got the next day. Sheesh, what if someone was sick, or there was a robbery? It happens all the time. Stuff comes up.

Some of those reviews are negative, then later the writers write back and update, saying they received their order and were happy with the goods, but some still didn't change the review from negative.

If he can get it for me, eventually, that's all I want. And even if he can't get it to me, then I'd rather he treat his employees well. I sure don't want someone who answers phones all day or works in a field for $12. an hour to be miserable because of a small order.

I'm not going to get upset about it, if it's not available. In this case, it wasn't promised to me. Besides, I think I'll get my rose. If they have one, I think someone will send it to me, and if not, I'm willing to wait for it.

Also, when rose growers go out of business, roses go extinct. Less rose growers in the business, then the price of roses will go up. Fewer types of roses will be available.

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Dang it, Desertdance, based on your statement that you saw Crimson Glory at Home Depot, I drove right over there to see if the local Home Depot had it. Are you sure it was not Crimson Bouquet you saw? At the store in Huntington Beach, CA, there was no Crimson Glory, but there were some nice body bags of Lagerfeld, Pristine and Heirloom, at excellent prices, so they jumped right into my cart. I then drove over to the Home Depot in Costa Mesa, CA, again no Crimson Glory, but then again some very good Midas Touch, Medallion, Perfume Delight and Black Magic, which also made their way into the cart. Still no Crimson Glory, but 7 more roses I need to make room for.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Curlydoc, I'm not sure that what I saw was Crimson Glory. It could have been Crimson Bouquet. I apologize if I mislead you! I saw one rose there that was sold out. Sentimental. So pretty! But I came home, read about it, and it's a one time bloomer and stingy at that, so I'm no longer tempted with that one. However you have convinced me Crimson Glory would be great, and I'll try to find it somewhere online with a reputable company that you can actually call on the phone. The prices at HD are amazing. I'm wondering when they will put their bare roots on sale....

I wish HD had rugosas...the old ones that put out lots of rose hips. The pavement rugosas would be great around my pool. Ideal size with lots of color, and lots of hips for me to make tea and other delicious vitamin C packed treats! The pool is infinity and overflows now and then, but they don't mind a little salt. (salt water pool)

Glad the trip to HD was worth it for you! I hope all those roses will bring you happiness!

• susan9santabarbara
    15 years ago

I have a large number of fragrant red HTs, and am always looking for a better one. I grow, or have grown, many of the ones mentioned above, and many others. I have no problem with the blueing of all of the classic ultra-fragrant red HTs, and they remain my faves. I had Olympiad for almost 10 years, very nice rose but ditched it a couple of years ago b/c its blooms were small-ish and non-fragrant. I loved it when it was one of the first seven roses I grew way back in the day. I bought two Firefighters when it was first offered at Edmunds (with very high hopes for it based on what they told me), but gave both away after 2-3 years... I'm always wistful when Hoov posts about her great Firefighter. I have given away a number of other reds. Having said that, and based on your four potentials above and your looking for a true red HT, I'd say Ingrid Bergman is a great choice. Always perfect, big blooms, medium fragrant, repeats extremely well. Veterans' Honor is also really great and medium fragrant, but for me it tends to weak necks. Someone must know how to grow it right without those weak necks, b/c it's a popular exhibition rose. I haven't figured that one out yet. I've grown it grafted, and now own-root, and it's exactly the same. One rose no one has mentioned is Erotika, an ultra-fragrant pretty much clear red rose. It's not quite as damasky as the usual suspects, but it is kind of a blend of sweet rose and damask, still very strong. I've been thinking for the past couple of years that Erotika might actually be the perfect compromise rose for someone looking for true red and ultra-fragrant.

Sorry so long, but I could write a book about my quest for fragrant reds :-D

Susan

• jody
    15 years ago

I have two Climbing Crimson Glory. If the bush is anywhere as nice, then its really, really, nice. The climbers are happy and prolific bloomers/growers and throw out long, lovely, limber canes that you can do anything with.

I am enthusiastic about Geranium Red also. In my climate it stays pretty much clear red, no orange tones and certainly no blue tones. I have three Francis Dubriel, but they are more on the dark red, black edges side, but they are lovely frangrant things that make you want to bury your nose in them and just breath for a couple of hours.

Before the great divorce/move thing, I had several of the Buck reds. I liked them all also and they all held good color in my climate. If you would like a true red, fragrant, big blooming single, try Prairie Clogger. Stays clean here too, even when I don't get the spraying done.

• hydroflame
    15 years ago

=/

• littlesmokie
    15 years ago

I love these forums, a person posts asking for help narrowing down 4 choices and gets suggestions for another dozen other roses! LOL

Gala, I appreciate your positive attitude. Yet I hesitate to mention that I am someone who DID actually receive roses from Growquest. 5(?) years ago, I was desperate for a variety noone else was carrying (marie curie-fragrant, disease free, no spray, decorative hips shrub.) Ordered bareroot, long delay, lots of excuses, a couple of phone calls, more excuses and finally 2 potted (and much more expensive) roses showed up at my door. (I was of course charged for the extra shipping.) Rose fiends are an obsessive lot. It was a ridiculous amount of hoops to jump through. Now a mom to a busy toddler, and after reading for years about all the kind forumers here who received the exact runaround/grief or were seemingly just plain ripped off, I would not choose to order from growquest again.

Susan I enjoyed your comments & thanks for bringing Erotika to my attention. I would gladly read a longer rose "book" of yours!

Dawn

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

Have you got or considered any of these: Barkarole/Taboo, Black Magic, Opening Night, or Precious Platinum? I haven't seen these mentioned.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Someone spoke highly of Deep Secret. I looked it up and found it was not in commerce much - Heirloom had it - decided to give it ia try. Anyone grow it? One of my favorites is still Alec's Red - but want to branch out and try others. Cant wait to see what Legends does - hope it is as huge as it is advertised. Would love to have Ingrid Bergman - and am going to check out Erotika too.....

Jody, Prairie Clogger is a bright red, and in the Chamblees greenhouse - is a constant and prolific bloomer. You can see the group of PC's blooming en masse. I am not that into singles.....but every time I am there, I consider it.

So many choices......
    Judith

• markiz37
    15 years ago

Deep Secret- it does "blue" a little, medium fragrance, the blooms last only 2-3 days, does get Powdery mildew in my garden [I spray weekly]

{{gwi:211886}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorgeous photo - thanks! I was only able to get this rose as a band, so it will be some time before its as big as yours.....but something to look forward to. In east Tx, we dont have too many problems with powdery mildew - mainly blackspot, so hopefully it will do well. Thank you for a beautiful photo!
    Judith