SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Stress causes virus

orchidnick
14 years ago

Of course stress does not cause virus but I got your attention.

2 1/2 years ago a friend of mine was converting his single family residence into a multiplex. He gave away all his orchids once he realized that he could no longer keep them because of lack of growing space and lack of time in his new life style. I took a bunch of Cattleyas and a load of Cymbidiums.

These plants had spent the better part of a summer and fall with minimal if any water and lots of gypsum, cement and any other kind of dust. They were in sad shape but I nursed most of them back to health. When the Cattleyas started blooming I found a few with color breaks in the flowers and discarded them. Same with the Cymbidiums, who when they started new growths, a few showed chlorophyll break in the new leaves. They also got discarded except for 3 large ones which I kept. I have since then had no more evidence of virus in the plants I got from him.

The 3 large Cymbidiums were set in a separate place away from the rest of the collection and generally ignored for a couple of years. Now I am finally breaking down and building a greenhouse. Today I spent the morning preparing the site for the new greenhouse which included finding a new place for these 3 Cymbidiums.

I looked at them carefully and could find no evidence of virus. There were numerous new growths, all perfect. Not knowing what I know, I would never suspect the problem. Obviously the plants did not cure themselves of the virus but no longer show signs of it. They also obviously showed no signs of it prior to the stressful Summer of no water and harmful dust other wise my friend would have discarded them.

All three plants were believed to be healthy by a good grower, then a very stressful episode followed by evidence of virus in the new growth. Next came a couple of years of good care in a remote corner and lo and behold the new growths are again perfect and the plants look.

This once more proves to me that we may have numerous virused plants in our collections, which don't show evidence of the virus unless stressed. I would never remove these 3 Cymbidiums from the collection if I had to make the call from their appearance today, they look perfectly healthy, yet I know they are virused so will find a new isolated place for them. I'm sure that a large healthy plant may harbor virus without showing any signs of it, conversely a weak stressed plant will show it readily.

Nick

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider