SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blendguy

Growing roses in England?

blendguy
15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since I posted, some of you may remember that last spring we decided to move to Oxford, England; and we left in the summer on our big adventure. I've missed you all, (and have been lurking now and then to keep up on with you and your gardens). Hopefully by getting a new garden going I'll be a more regular member again and have something to take photos of to share with you.

It's been six months, and we have officially decided to stay (we had six months to decide if we wanted to return for job reasons).

I love it here. While I sure do miss my garden in San Clemente, I'm looking forward to enjoying all the wonderful gardens in England that I hope to be able to visit this spring and summer.

We live just a 10 minute walk from town in a wonderful neighbourhood called Osney Town which is actually a small island in the middle of the Thames river when it passes through Oxford. It's a lovely little place where narrowboats tie up to the shore, and people gather at the local pub to talk about life on the river and canals. I took some photos of the neighbourhood when we first arrived and have them here if you would like to see:

http://www.robertmealing.com/photography/25-07-08/

We are renting, so I don't want to make a huge investment into our garden (which we share with two other neighbours), but I would like to try to get some roses and other flowers into the ground and have the neighbour's blessing to do whatever I would like. The good news is that we have a raised bed which will probably make a good spot for some roses and flowers, the bad news is that much of the garden is shaded by an enormous ash tree that is over 100 feet high. We still get sun in the raised bed and along some of the borders. Currently, there are a lot of dull shrubs planted, I might consider removing a few and planting, oh.. I don't know.. maybe roses... ;)

I'm thinking of ordering some Austins because, well dammit, I love them. I'm also considering a couple of bourbons and maybe an alba or gallica or two?

Gardening in England is an entirely new experience for me. Right now the garden is frosted and cold, but I know that in a few months it will be springing to life, and I want to try to bring as much life to it as I can (on our rather limited budget and resources of course).

So, I've always wanted an English Garden, and always felt guilty for trying to grow one in a climate where water was so precious. Here, water falls magically from the sky! I don't know anything about growing roses in England, or gardening in general. Are there any sources... books, websites, forums, that would be especially helpful for me? When do I order roses? When should they be planted? Can I grow Tea roses in Oxford or is it too cold here?

I intend to make a trip to Montisfont this spring if at all possible (I have no car (yay!!!) so will need to see if I can get there by train and coach), and I want to go to David Austins garden's near Wolverhampton as well (a bit like a pilgrimage for me really.... don't laugh!)

Are there any Austins that do particularly well here? (I hear the Jude, one of my favourites in California, prefers the warmer climates for instance). Any old roses that I should absolutely take advantage of growing? Anything I should know about growing roses and flowers here that I wouldn't know from my limited knowledge of growing in coastal California?

Sorry for the many questions, but as I sit here looking out my window and dreaming, I am realising how ignorant I am and how much I need to learn to be prepared to attempt to create a garden this upcoming spring, and I would really appreciate any tips, hints, and advice that those of you used to this type of climate might be willing to offer.

Many blessings for a happy new year to you all,

Robert (blendguy)

Here is a link that might be useful: Random pictures of the Osney Island area

Comments (14)