SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsquared18

Still Another Thread on Raccoons!

bsquared18
16 years ago

Hi,

Sometimes I think that raccoons are nature's terrorists! Mother Nature knew what she was doing when she painted those masks on their cute little faces.

Anyhow, I have a concrete back yard pond with plants, fish, and tadpoles/frogs in it; and have been battling raccoons for years now.

What has worked pretty well for me is netting on a light-weight frame that I put over the pond when we go away on a trip and before dark every evening when we are at home.

The little buggers are continually trying to figure out how to defeat the net so they can eat the plants and animals and generally cause havoc. I figure it's only a matter of time before they succeed, so I'd like a second line of defense.

I've read a lot of suggestions on this site. Some I've tried, and others don't fit my situation. For example:

-- I've tried coyote urine, but it's expensive, and after a while the raccoons started ignoring it. (I suppose I could get a real, live coyote, but, well, that's not too practical.)

-- We don't want to buy a dog. One cat is enough mammalian pets for us.

-- A motion-activated water cannon won't work since I don't want chlorine in the pond water (because of the fish and tadpoles/frogs, you know).

Two possibilities I'd like input on:

First, has anyone had success with a motion-activated spot light? The raccoons in our neighborhood never come out before dark--in fact I've never seen them; just the results. Does a light scare them or just make it easier for them to see the mischief they're doing?

Secondly, one suggestion on another thread was to surround the pond with carpet-nail planks. I'd be willing to do that if it worked. Has anyone tried it, and, if so, does it do the job?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill

Comments (19)