SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

The good news is my brain is completely normal (long)

jazmynsmom
16 years ago

Or so said the doctor. I asked for it in writing, as I know my family will not believe me when I tell them.

This morning I made some coffee and sat down to read the paper... and discovered I could not read.

There were some weird flashing lights in my vision field. I could see just fine, but I could not process any of the info. Ten minutes later, the flashing lights went away, but my vision remained scrambled for another 20 minutes. I had a bit of unobscurred vision in the upper left portion of my sight field if I looked at things peripherally. I used this to hurry up and look up a bunch of phone numbers, including my doctor's. I called my clinic, and they asked me to go to the ER.

I called around until I found one of my neighbors at home and asked her if she could drive me to the ER. Two minutes later, she was in my driveway in a baseball cap, apologizing for her bralessness and unbrushed teeth, motioning me to hop in her car (I just love my neighbors!). She wanted to stay with me in the ER, but went home when I asked her to and promised to keep her in the loop.

By this time my vision was back. As the scrambling subsided, my head was taken over by stabbing pains. They did a CT and it looked good, so they gave me a couple shots for the pain and told me it was my first migraine. Another neighbor drove me home where I shut off the lights and took a two-hour nap.

It turns out these are the exact symptoms my little sister experienced when her migraines started when she was 12. I'm not happy to learn I'm prone to migraines, but I'm relieved when I consider the possible causes of my symptoms I thought of before I went in. (I actually stood in front of a mirror, smiled, and focused on my face to the best of my ability under the circumstances to see that both sides were symmetrical and I wasn't having a stroke.)

Steve was out of reach all day because he took off early to set up his tree stand for the deer opener tomorrow morning. He's not due back for a day or two, and when he finally reached me, it was nearly impossible to talk him into not coming home. Frankly, I'd feel foolish if he did because now that I know what's causing it, I don't need any help with it.

On the bright side, I did get to cancel the appointment to get fitted for two crowns today. I wasn't looking forward to spending Thanksgiving so far from my dentist with two temporary teeth anyway. I think I'll just curl up with some juice, thaw some chicken soup, and have a quiet evening in.

Anyone else get migraines? Any sage advice?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions