SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Picking your brains for ideas.. (3 pictures) long too.

lydia1959
15 years ago

..and trying to get my mind off the surprise 50th anniversary party coming up Sunday. Things look good so far, my parents are still clueless. I'll try and post some pictures next week.

Anyhow, DH and I are planning on adding a room onto our house this spring if things go well. It will be in place of our current deck which is about 16' by 12'. We'll use this room as a place to read and relax and as additional seating and eating space for when we have guests.

The back wall will be full of doublehung windows (ease of cleaning since this will be on the 2nd story) and because we have a great view in that direction (lots of trees and a lake). Above the windows will be a long bookshelf with vintage brackets holding it up. I am thinking of shorter windows on the side walls, something that I can easily open to fill my bird feeders which will be hung outside. Right now we have a kitchen window over the sink which will be knocked out and made into a pass-through. I was thinking of having a little shelf/bar jutting out into the new room tiled in the same blue that our kitchen backsplash is. We could set a couple barstools there. I want to get a multi disc cd player and have speakers set into the wall. A ceiling fan too. Since this will adjoin the kitchen which has woodgrain laminate - I was thinking about a vinyl floor in this pattern:

I am wanting a cottage/eclectic look - would this work? I do not want a wood laminate, ceramic tile or carpet in this room.

Add a red camelback sofa like this:

And in my dreams I'd have it on the other side of this:

I did say eclectic! lol Maybe not that color? My Grandma had one of these and if I'd been smart 20 years ago when it was sold was a few dollars, I'd have snatched it up.

I'd have a big colorful rug too with a glass or wood tabletop perched on a couple old sewing machine bases (the old metal ones) for company meals. Ideally I'd be able to put the tabletop on something shorter to use for a coffee table most of the time. Ideas for what to use?

The stairs going outside will be Trex or something similar. Any recommendations?

Reading this back, the whole thing sounds kind of thrown together, but in my mind it looks good. :-)

Bad ideas?? Good ideas?? Got some to share? What would you do if you were adding a room on?

Even if you give me some good ideas - I have to talk DH into all this too. I'm pretty sure he will not like the black/white floor idea. He's more of a brown-tones guy.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath