SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andie_rathbone

Second Rant of the Week

andie_rathbone
15 years ago

Have I told you guys how much I hate Macy's? About two years ago, they bought the May Department store corporation & Foley's, my place to shop in Texas, Famous-Barr, my place to shop in St. Louis, and Marshall Field's, the department store I grew up with became Macy's. When this happened all sorts of people told me how much I'd love Macy's, how much better the merchandise would be, etc., etc.

However, almost from the day they changed the signs on the stores the shopping experience there went down, down, down. All the normal clothes that a woman of a certain age would wear disappeared in favor of those crop tops that look like they're maternity ops & skinny, skinny, skinny jeans. Plus every time they had a sale there was some kind of caveat to it - their percent off coupons were only good on certain merchandise, their sales were only good if you used a Macy's charge card - that kind of thing. I finally got sick of it & haven't been in the store in almost a year.

However, today they had a huge sale, I guess because business is so awful. And since I've been looking for what a call a "g-pa sweater" (you know, wool cardigan with a shawl collar & pockets) for my FIL that I haven't been able to find anywhere, I went into the store. I wandered around the men's department & didn't see anything like what I was looking for & then started looking for a sales person. You know how that goes. I finally found one & when I described what I wanted she just gave me a look like I was hopelessly out of date & said, "No we don't carry that kind of thing." So I said well, I guess I'll have to go to Dillard's & she replied dripping with sarcasm, "Well have a good time."

Now this really p*ssed me off, so I marched into the store manager's office to complain. And you know what? He didn't even apologize! So I asked him for a pair of scissors & cut my charge card in two & left it on his desk.

How far have we gotten from the customer is always right? I don't think I'll be able to watch "Miracle on 34th Street" this year. Macy's deserves to go out of business.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions