SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

The New Chids - Plus Show Photos

jodik_gw
15 years ago

Since I hate crowds, I decided it would be best to hit Oak Hill Gardens on the first day of the Chicagoland Orchid Festival. Larry and I arrived at around 1:00 pm, and got great parking in the shade... Friday was a hot one! We walked through the yard to the greenhouse entrance, and the first thing I saw were the sale tables! No time to browse... I wanted to get a look at all the different greenhouses...

{{gwi:198178}}

There was room upon room filled with orchids of every shape and size... even the walls were filled with hanging mounts! It must be understood that this was my first experience visiting an orchid greenhouse... I'm sure my lower jaw was dragging in the gravel on the floor!

I spent the next 4 hours walking the different areas, snapping photos, talking to people, and choosing the young plants that I would purchase... what a choice!

{{gwi:198179}}

I've never seen such a grand collection of greenhouse plants... and while not everything was in bloom, I was enthralled by the sizes and shapes and colors and types of orchids and other tropical beauties! I've never seen anything like it!

{{gwi:198180}}

I was so lost in the world of orchids, my husband had to come find me... he reminded me it was almost time to go, and I should make my final selections... boy, that was tough!

I finally chose about a dozen young plants... all types I wanted... and Larry chose this beautiful Phal for me...

Brother Sara Gold Sogo

{{gwi:198181}}

All of my other choices are young, with a few in spike or sheath... all healthy, and all very nicely priced!

{{gwi:198183}}

They include:

Encyclia fragrans

Epidendrum stamfordianum alba

Phalaenopsis equestris

Phal. Sogo Grape Fireball

Phal. intermedia

Ansellia gigantea v.nilotica

Cattleya gaskelliena alba

Slc. Wendy's Valentine 'Laina'

Lc. Walanae Sunset 'Pokai'

Cymbidium Pipeta 'Chiquita'

Paph. venustum album (Pippen x Limey)

We decided to call it a day after paying for our purchases... I couldn't believe I'd bought all those orchids for under $60.00! Oak Hill Gardens has an awesome selection of sizes and orchid types... I'm only sorry we weren't able to go back for more!

Unfortunately, car trouble got in the way, so going back on Saturday or Sunday was out of the question. The good news is... Oak Hill Gardens is right on the way to my son's house, so we will be stopping in on our next trip up north!

In the interest of a fast load, I've opted to include the remainder of photos through a link to my photo album... enjoy! The first two pages are from Oak Hill Gardens' greenhouses! Do visit if you get the chance!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photo Album - 2 Pages of Oak Hill Gardens

Comments (8)