SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

A Place for Retirement

Hi there, folks.

Ok, I've got about 15-16 years before I retire, but it's been on my mind.

I'm looking for a great place to set up for retirement. I've got to say that I love the Northeast, but there are reasons why large portions of the populations are leaving -- high taxes, stifling laws about this, that, and the other thing -- it's enough to drive a small "L" libertarian stark raving mad. When you throw in the tough winters, there's no reason to hang around, so you take your money and live somewhere friendlier.

About the only northeastern state I'd consider for retirement is New Hampshire. But with urbanites leaving larger surrounding states and moving in there, they bring with them their desire to have lots of services provided at taxpayer expense and more laws curtailing individual activities, so even New Hampshire is changing for the worse.

We probably wouldn't be great flatlanders, having a love of hills, mountains, trees, streams, and lakes. So I guess the prairies are out, although they look beautiful and would make for great vacations.

My daughter moved to Florida, which is nice, but not our kind of place.

On her way to Florida, she spent a couple of days in Knoxville, Tennessee and thought very highly of it. She thought the people very friendly and observed that the taxes that one sees on the surface were quite low. Gasoline was cheaper by $.60 per gallon.

I know our friend, Ann, is from Tennessee. Can anyone tell me more about Tennessee? I would also consider Kentucky and West Virginia. I must say that Virginia would be at the top of the list if it wasn't so darn hot during the summer; we hate oppressive heat.

Pitches for other places will also be entertained. The deep south would be nice if it wasn't so hot in most places.

Essentially we are looking for (A) low cost of living and low taxes; (B) few laws micromanaging people and small businesses; and (C) a somewhat diverse climate with lots of hills and trees.

Those criteria do curtail the options quite a bit, but any suggestions?

Thank you!

--Deb

Comments (32)