SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanblooms1

Broken spikes - dashed dreams - how have you reacted?

susanblooms1
16 years ago

My first orchid was a marked down hybrid floofy white phaleanopsis. It had a small cut off spike with a couple of buds that I managed to get to bloom. After that, nothing, not until this summer. This summer, I learned about growing orchids outside. I put that plant outside in May and within 2 weeks she spiked again. That spike finally bloomed about 2-3 weeks ago and she had 8 beautiful, huge, snow white bloosoms. I brought that phal into the house and thought she'd be protected and I'd get to enjoy those blossoms for a long, long time. They were the proof of my first orchid success and I was so proud.

This week (within days of the bloom), The girl who cleans my house accidentally broke the whole spike off and left me a horrified, apologetic note, along with her offer to purchase me a new blooming plant.

This is where it gets interesting. I would have imagined that I would cry over this loss, such was my disappointment and heartbreak. Instead, I sighed and picked up the phone to call her.

She felt so bad, I wanted to ease her pain, and I left her a message releasing her from her guilt and her offer to purchase another. You see, it wasn't me that helped that orchid to bloom, it was the orchid that helped me to grow and bloom. My confidence and my patience have grown since I bought that first orchid about a year ago. That chid and the other 24 I've purchase since, have taught me to relish the wait and enjoy the challenge. I now have confidence in my results. That beautiful plant will bloom again and I will be waiting.

Susan

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County