SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponder630

Inherited pond with Koi at new house

ponder630
12 years ago

As my title suggests I recently moved into my house that has a 12'x6' pond with an average depth of ~1.8 feet. Some parts are about 3' deep. Using a pond calculator it is approximately 960 gallons.

There are 4 koi (10", 6" , 2 that are about 4" and 1 comet goldfish and one small silver with black spot goldfish...maybe a shubunkin?? Cant really tell on that guy.

I think the pond is overstocked with fish from what I've read but I think the kois have been in the pond for several years...maybe that small goldfish was released in the pond since its so tiny.

I moved in November and threw a deicer in the pond so it didn't freeze over and now that it is spring I have some questions about the pond.

The fish seem to stay on the bottom of the pond most of the times except early morning and late evening. Is that normal? When I see videos of other ponds I see the fish actively swimming, enjoying the pond. Do they act like this because the water is cold? It is around 55 degrees. I feed them every other day, using small quantity using a "spring feed (more carbs, less protein I am told)". They get spooked quite easily when I walk out to the pond to feed them. I am using a feeding ring so I can get them to associate it with food, but when I feed them they tend to stay on the bottom. Only when I leave and observe them from the windows that the comet take food from thereone in a blue moon. I leave the food and ring overnight and the food is gone by the morning, but I do not know if the fish ate it or if the food sank.

I am wondering if the fish will act like this all the time or will my pond fish become more active and "enjoy the pond" and be friendly when I feed them. I am hoping this is because the water is cold and their appetites are not as voracious as they are when the water temp is warmer.

I am reading more about keeping koi and realize water quality is important so I've bought some test strips to measure nitrate, nitrite, ph, hardness, etc.

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Hardness 250

Alkalinity 80

Ph 7.6

Filtration is just a small fountain pump with two filter media (one that is course and one finer foam) and some bio balls. It looks like it is doing a good job, unless I am reading the info wrong....

How often do you change the water? I have a shopvac that looks like I can use to suck up all the muck at the bottom.

sorry for the long winded post, but I guess you all need all that info to help give advice.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (11)