SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

Selling a House with a Koi Pond- Update

goodkarma_
11 years ago

It was a bad idea. The pond was too big and nice for the neighborhood. I heard tons of feedback from potential buyers that they loved the house. The men loved the pond but the wives thought it would be too much work or their kids would drown in the pond. So it was a no go.

DD got in a bad car accident in December. We moved in with her to help. Left my house empty and no one to care for the pond. Finally - yesterday, I moved the Koi in to her 4 car garage. It is heated so that is good. Moving the Koi was very hard. I could not get any portable oxygen. I could get welding O2 but I could not get a regulator to go with it. When I asked for details to buy a regulator I was told "call you back". Never got any calls back.

Finally we moved them in tubs with battery operated areators to the 650 gallon kiddie pool in the garage. I am relying on water changes until I can get a decent filter set up.

Good news is I bought a new house 4 doors away from DD. It is a fixer upper on an acre. I hope to get a new, smaller pond in by fall. But really- I still have to fill in the old pond and sell my other house. So we will have to see how it goes.

All in all- I spent over 6K on the pond, plumbing, rocks and landscaping all DIY. To fill it all in just breaks my heart. Best advice is do not overbuild in a suburban neighborhood unless you are sure you are going to stay there forever.

My future plans are a to build a 2 thousand gallon pond as that is all I need for 3 Koi and 2 shubbies (that is if they all survive the garage pond). If they don't survive then I am done with ponding. Not that it isn't a great hobby. I absolutely loved it. But you can't just pack up your pond and go when life happens.

Hope everyone is having a great ponding season.

Comments (7)