SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelalreadytaken

My Vista Upgrade Experience

I decided to go ahead and install Vista--curiosity does eventually kill the cat I guess.

1) The "compatibility" check disk from Dell, that runs first, said everything would be OK and to go ahead and upgrade.

2) Everything basically went OK. It took about three hours for the entire process.

3) After the computer went to "sleep" overnight, the wireless modem shut down and would not re-install due to compatibility issues. Point of amusement: "Would you like to check online for a solution to this problem? Actually, yes... LOL

4) I took a chance on a new Belkin USB wireless adapter which ($50) solved the problem nicely. I couldn't find any wireless adapters anywhere that actually said Vista compatible on the label. It linked right up.

I'm finding that the Belkin products are a world easier than Linksys and Netgear which can require some pretty arcane configuration to install.

5) Firefox "shimmies" "shakes" and "bounces" on some pages--I was able to find a fix for that-- right click on the bookmark tab and then uncheck the Bookmarks Toolbar. Problem solved. Firefox say version .0.0.4 will address the issue. The latest version is 0.0.2.

4) Norton Internet Security completely reinstalls itself during the process--in itself a lengthy process.

It's nice enough--the interfaces are cool--no Earth shattering features--although I'm still looking for voice recognition--which I probably don't even have--

The hard drive runs more-- it barely ran at all in XP.-- Irritating.

Six billion dollars invested by Microsoft. Hopefully, there are important features buried somewhere.

MichaelAT

Comments (6)