SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

Anti-social goldfish?

basilbird
16 years ago

I have 5 comets. All were bought last July as "feeder fish". The first 4 were the survivors from a batch of 10. The last was the sole survivor of a batch of 5 bought about 2 weeks later. They are now all fat and happy adults about 5 inches long.

Almost from the beginning four of the fish would stay together and one would be separate. Considering the first batch was about twice as big as the second batch back in July, I thought that was the reason. But it went on all summer, even when the fish were the same size. It is *still* happening now! I will see four fish together and then, at the other end of the pond, there will be one lonely stragler. Sometimes they are all together or in groups of 3 and 2, but most of the time it's 4 and 1!

Of the five fish, there is only one I can identify. "Spot" has white markings. The others are all orange. I suppose it's possible that the "lone" fish I see is a different fish each time but I've always thought it was the same one.

Would a two week age difference cause a fish to be ostricized by it's older cousins?

BasilB

Comments (2)