SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keimoe

Aggressive Fantail goldfish hurting others

keimoe
16 years ago

I have a large fantail goldfish approx 5-6" long which I believe is a male (he has the tubercles on his gill covers). He is the largest fish in my 60 gal aquarium - I also have 8 other goldfish of varying sizes, some only 2-3", others about 4-5". Lately, I have come to believe that this large fish is attacking the other fish...I now have two fish that are missing both eyes. The first was a tiny panda with telescopic eyes, first one eye was missing, then a week later, the other. Today, my beautiful chocolate oranda appears to have had both eyes ruptured but still in the sockets. I caught the large fish nipping at her eyes and chasing her around the tank, nudging her from under the tail. I don't know what to do. I called the pet store and they will not take him (they have a large koi pond inside and he would be a lot smaller than their koi, so the aggressiveness shouldn't be a problem?) Aside from separating him from the rest, I don't know what to do. I only have one large tank and don't look forward to taking him out of it, he is the centrepiece of my tank. I've had him for about 5 years, since he was very small - he is healthy and has never been aggressive until just recently. Help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored