SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

We found one.

gandle
13 years ago

A pyrennes puppy, 10 weeks old. Ad in the Sunday paper from a breeder only about 30 miles from here. I talked Leone into checking them out and I fell in love instantly. There were 2 left. A male and a female. The male is all white and the female is white with a black eye and almost a black hat on her head.

I have loved pyrennes dogs since son got the first almost 30 years ago. The first was Jethro, huge, all white and a little stand-offish, he just acted like he would rather be doing his job wich was protecting the sheep, calves and poultry and he was very good at it. No coyote losses when Jethro was on the job.

Next was Homer and he had to be the nicest dog I ever knew. He liked everybody, loved cats, wagged his tail at squirrels and birds. He weighed over 160 pounds and thought he was a lap dog. Again, no coyote losses when he was on duty. If you happened to be close to Homer when coyotes started howling at night you almost felt the growl instead of hearing it was more of a rumble than a growl.

Next was Bear, a great dog too but unfortunately he developed bone cancer and only lived a little over 3 years.

I would have happily paid the breeders the $300 they were asking but Leone had a cooler head and said lets think about it for a few days. Lets check with a couple of vets and get their opinion on the breeders and their stock and she had another good argument that I had in the back of my mind but didn't want to think about. You are not in the best of health and what happens if the dog outlives you? Also, a huge dog like that really needs more exercise than either of us will give them.

Those are good arguments and yes I would rather not think about them but I guess she really is right.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions