SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

The Clean Plate book club

meldy_nva
11 years ago

Am reading Sara Nelson's "So Many Books, so Little Time". She uses 'clean plate book' to describe those books that, by page 15 or 50 or even 200, you realize is not one that you want to read any further, but you feel obliged to finish - that same feeling of obligation that our parents sometimes thrust upon us (especially if we insisted upon a third helping): you asked for it so now you must "clean your plate!" She describes a liberating feeling of maturity when putting aside a book at page 15, 50, or whatever; an acknowledgement that we are mature enough to know what is readable and are liberated enough to not feel obliged to finish reading the book just because it is there.

I don't know that I feel any more mature, but I certainly feel a sort of liberation when I finally decide that it is okay to put aside a book that simply fails to hold my attention. This happens maybe once or twice in most years, but last week I had TWO in that category. The second one was so ploddingly dull that I actually re-read the first five pages three times before I admitted that the plodding wasn't due to a miniscule attention span on my part, but a flaw of authorship. Yep, I felt free to return it to the library to await some other hapless reader.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions