SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_surf_chaser

Egg timers and sunrise appointments.

sun_n_surf_chaser
17 years ago

Yesterday morning I awoke at 3:43am. I knew this after I went into te kitchen to take a look-see at a clock. Mr di and I don't have an alarm clock in our bedroom, we always wake up on our own. Been that way for over 12 years now. I grabbed the egg timer, set it for the max, 60 minutes and went back to bed. I've never done that before. Problem was, it ticked so loudly, I had to get out of bed and throw a shirt over it. I knew I couldn't oversleep but I needed more sleep.

The next thing I remember was Mr. di waking me up at 5:30am. I never did hear the egg timer go off. It was a usual morning. He had coffee made, we said good morning and kissed, as we have for over 12 years now. His coffee is so much better than mine. I have yet to figure this out. After 12 years, I stopped trying and my attempts are always corrected by him making a new pot.

We continued our morning routine. Mr di checking out the football forums and looking at the umpteenth motorcycle that is up for sale on ebay. He's probably looked at a million of them. I stopped telling him he'll never get another one at about 100. That was about 4 years ago. Still, every morning he looks at the same thing on ebay.

I turned the dryer on to fluff my bluejeans and joined him in the office. For the 5th time this week, he brings up benching our running back. For the 5th time I give him the same answer, "We burnt the poor man out by having such a crappy QB for years. It's no wonder he can't run the ball anymore." After a few more sips of coffee my brain finally kicked in gear so I stopped turning every danged page in my address book. It took a few moments but I finally remembered suzy's last name so I can send her that danged egg holder thingie.

It was almost 6am now and I went into the bathroom, washed my face, brushed my teeth and brushed my hair. Every morning I throw my hair up in a ponytail. Today was different, I decided to wear it down. I then stared into my closet. I didn't like the feeling of the significance of what I would choose to wear today so, I ignored myself. I chose a new yellow fishnet type cardigan sweater that I got for a steal at Kohls and a white sleeveless blouse covered in pastel embroidary. This blouse is at least 14 years old. I then check myself in the mirror, take a little spit and try my best to locked down the frayed threads on the neckline of my blouse. By the time I was puting on my bluejeans, mr. di had joined me and was getting his clothes on. He brought up our running back again. I give him that same answer. We both grab our flip-flops and head out the door.

It's still dark when we leave but only a hint of chill in the air for 6:26am. We have only 19 minutes to make our appointment and both agree on the shortest route. As we crossed the water the Atlantic sky was bright enough to yield only a few wispy clouds but many shades of blues, purples and pinks against the city's lights. We were in agreement that if one didn't know whether he was on the east coast or the west coast the sky could look as if the sun just set rather than it's approaching rise. I touched his hand and told him he was my best friend. He said the same with an "I love you". That exchange has occured many times in the last 12 years but it was a little different this morning.

Still dark enough to need street lights to make our way, we arrive at the inlet on time, 6:45am. A shrimp boat is making it's way back in from it early morning catch already. We both recognize the name of the boat as Mary arrives on time as well. We shake hands, as we have never met her in person before and head for the beach, leaving our flip flops behind.

We've picked the very end of the beach where a rock jetty is the barrier to the inlet. The sun is scheduled to show herself at 7:03am. Other fishing boats are making their way out of the inlet for today's catch. Even though we live here now, anytime we visited in the past we made a point to come here and watch the boats go out so early in the morning. It's a beautiful sight; boats charging towards a huge orange ball on the horizon, gulls dancing in a pink-purple sky and the moon still up on the opposite side of the sky, almost watching, waiting and paying tribute to the sun.

It's time now. We joined hands and exchanged our vows. Just ourselves, Mary, the gulls, the fisherman, the sea and lastly, the brand new sun.

~di

Comments (21)

Sponsored
More Discussions