SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Keeping books

meldy_nva
17 years ago

Loaned a friend a book of small-quantity pickle recipes; measured to make 2 or 3 pints rather than the dozen or so quarts that most pickle recipes seem to make. Good recipes, too. She was surprised that I had a book printed (and purchased) in 1953 -but I think a good recipe doesn't change just because the calendar keeps flipping.

However, that made me think about people who don't keep books vs. those who do keep them. Frankly, I don't comprehend the first category... superglue is nothing compared to my grip on bound and covered reading matter. My longest-kept book is probably Alcott's 'Eight Cousins', a handwritten note on the overleaf dates it as my possession in 1949. Well, not really the longest-kept, I remember I already owned [and still have] 'Rose in Bloom' and 'Mary Cary', but neither has a date to indicate when it came to me. I have read and re-read them through the years, sometimes for the pleasure of a well-written story and sometimes as a reminder of a way of life long past. Nowadays, there aren't many folks who make bread from scratch, much less buttonholes -- which also seemed to be the case in the late 1800s.

But, back OT, how does one decide when is the proper time to dispose of a book? I vaguely understand that folks exist who can buy and read a book and immediately pass it on to someone else. But what about people who like to re-read books? How do you determine which to keep, and for how long?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions