SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
high_tower

Emergency Orchid Rescue- need help

High_Tower
9 years ago

Hi Folks. I am Dave. Brand new here, so quick intro. Im an avid gardener and been doing so for many years but mostly hanging baskets outside and flower beds. Houseplants are not much right now as the light in the suite is not plentiful. However grow lights will be the answer there.

Now for the Orchids.. Ive had success with houseplants, and have been trying orchids for a bit now, reading and researching. Doing quite well actually and learning from mistakes. And my brother brought over a bunch of orchids and most are doing quite well.

Recentyly I went to his place, and was appalled to find the condition of his orchids. Not only were they in a south window with zero shade screen, they are covered with this what seems like snow mold all over the roots. Roots are dying everywhere, although presently you wouldnt know it just looking at the plants as the leaves are quite healthy and one is still flowering which doesnt mean much.

So I wish to rescue them. Seems he has given up.
My questions are:

Is this really snow mold? I also though mealy bugs but the patches dont move, and mealy bugs are also usually found on leaves and there is zero on the leaves.
Another fungus? It looks a little lime green which is not exactly like the very white snow mold i usually see.

If he brings them all over, how much risk to my other plants given precautions are taken? Not worth the risk?

The last rescue i tried, the roots were rotten, which I cut, and try to dry it out a bit, but then didnt give it enough humidity for it to put out new roots, but now these ones will I assume have to be cut right back on the roots, dipped in perhaps 5% bleach solution? and soaked in fresh water for a bit?

Any help would be appreciated. Love the challenge.

PS seems only one image is allowed to be uploaded. How to upload additional images?

This post was edited by High_Tower on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 11:33

Comments (18)