SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrykitty_gw

Help! Just rescued orchids and need advice!

countrykitty
16 years ago

While at Lowe's the other day I found a pair of orchids in rough shape marked down to $1 apiece. I pay more for that per 20 oz. soda up at the school so OF COURSE they are now at my house.

One was labeled Phal. brother little yellowboy. It had been overwatered (they were in terracotta pots with plastic liners) and when I took it out of the pot all the roots had rotted off. I pulled off everything that was dead, repoted in a smaller pot (a bulb pot with holes in the side for drainage) using some of the original moss medium which was damp but not wet. It has one old leaf that is yellowing slowly, one nice leathery green leaf that is 1/4 the size of the old one, and one tiny leaf that is the size of my thumbnail.

These are my first orchids...should I water the medium frequently to encourage new growth or withhold water and just mist til I see new growth or water with small amounts every week AND mist?

The other is labelled Dendrobium Burana Green Star. It's doing much better...in fact I have not repotted it yet. There is one 7" cane with a dead flowerstalk on top and a 1/2" pup started at ground level and a 1" pup coming up from below soil level, a 4" cane with one leaf and a 2" pup at the top, plus a 2" can with no signs of growth.

Should I remove the pups as they get larger and produce roots and plant alongside the parents to produce a thicker stand of plants that will retain humidity longer? Will the parent canes revive with proper care or will they die back now that they have produced young?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice/comentary y'all can kick my way.

Comments (7)