SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
housekeeping_gw

Lavendar plant emergency rescue plan

housekeeping
17 years ago

I was wondering if I could ask for some thoughts about this situation.

I am in a coldish Zone 5 in northern NY. I have three lavendar plants that I transplanted from my Mother's garden in northern VA a few years ago. They were at least ten years old then and I brought them up planted in very large pots and set them in my garden. These are a unique variation of Hidcote-type lavendars that my Mother had developed from cross-pollinating her Hidcote stock plants. After her death, I transplanted a dozen of them from her border and rooted more than five dozen cuttings. All went well for 3 winters, but last winter, perhaps because it was warmer than normal I had a devasting amount of vole damage to the plants, and I lost all but three of the older plants.

Over the summer these three recovered enough so that I have hopes of hanging on to them. But as winter draws nearer I am starting to get anxious about them.

I was thinking that I might lift and pot them and keep them in an unheated, glassed-in room in one of my barns over the winter. I can successfully protect them from mouse damage inside. I thought of bringing them indoors, but they are quite large to have as house plants - I will need to put them in 24" pots.

Does anybody have any suggestions to increase my chances of success?

(BTW, I am also lifting large clumps of all my varieties of Siberian iris, for the same reason.)

TIA,

Molly~

Comments (2)