SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

Planning the 'fish rescue' - need holding tank advise

basilbird
15 years ago

As some of you may know, I have a major crack in my cement pond. I know I still have a few months to go before I can even think of getting the fish out and making repairs but I'd like to plan it right. Here's what I'm thinking....

I've got to wait until the frogs come up (assuming they survived). Last year that was around mid-April.

I've seen 3 of my 4 big goldfish (around 6 inches) and there's no real reason to think that all four didn't survive. I've also seen at least 6 babies (from 1 to 3 inches). I'm guessing I could have as many as 24-30 of these.

I was planing on filling up a 35 gallon plastic tote with pond water and then letting the pond go down slowly. As I take the leaves out and the water goes down I think I'll be able to catch the fish and transfer them to the tote.

Here are my questions... will a 35 gallon tote be big enough for the 4 fish and their off spring for maybe as long as a month? I have an air stone I plan on putting in the tote. Will I need any additional filtration? Or will a weekly partial water change be enough. Should I put a lot of plants in the tote (assuming they survived) or keep the bulk of them in another tote to give the fish more room?

Anything else I should be concerned about?

Oh yeah.... anyone know how to fix a cement pond that keeps cracking because rocks *outside* of it move?!

BasilB

Comments (7)