SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vette1966

Seeking advice on the best method of KBG seed distribution

vette1966
14 years ago

I plan to dormant seed my 1 acre Kokomo, IN lawn next week & IÂm concerned about the best way to apply the small expensive premium blend Kentucky bluegrass seed.

The local equipment rental  either Bluebird "rear seeder dispense" & Billy Goat "front seeder dispense" over-seeders appear to have a crude and inaccurate way to dispense seed. This is very important to me because I plan to use Kentucky bluegrass seed which is very small compared to rye.

The seed rate for KGB is only 3# /1,000 sq ft new lawn  if I cut that in ½ and apply the seed N-S and then E-W. The seed needs to be accurately distributed at only 1.5 # / 1,000.

The situation gets worse when over-seeding:

The seed rate for KGB is only 1.5# /1,000 sq ft over-seeding  if I cut that in ½ and apply the seed N-S and then E-W. The seed needs to be accurately distributed at only .75# / 1,000.

Does anyone have experience using either of the above over-seeders at this low application rate?

Can the above equipment accurately apply the small expensive KBG seed at .75# / 1,000 sq ft?

I have a 24 year old Scott precision flow drop seeder which appears to offer a more accurate way to apply seed. I want to do this job correct the 1st time!

Thanks in advance for helping!

Andy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21