SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsmadmax

Would Sahara Bermuda work on this yard?

itsmadmax
10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I am a home owner (from the Netherlands) on one of the southern islands in the Bahamas. (dont mind my English)

The yard is about 40.000 sqft of hot, Dry, coastline, sandy soil, never frost, full sun.

The lab result showed almost no nutrition in the soil BUT things do grow down there. (see attached link)
PH 7.5

I do not want a golf course but a green(er) yard in the future to get rid of the zillion sand spurs and other weeds and fill in the bare spots.

I did some research on Google and think that Bermuda sahara is the best (payable) option for me to seed.

This is a remote island with no stores/experts and we all have to do it Robinson way, try and error.

My plan is to:

Do 1 or 2 fertilization rounds over the next 4 month (2 x 250lbs) to see what it does to the existing 'grass' types. I think one of them is crabgrass and the other is Zoysia.

Also add 70lbs sulfur to lower PH.

After that, weed, mow, and over seed with a slice seeder.

(ps.. i have a little tractor with bucket/backhoe/rake and tiller but do not want to go around as Terminator part 7 for now :) )

The big question is ... will it ever germinate and grow? ( I build in an underground sprinkler, but water is damn rare there and expensive to make with my RO)

Thanks in advance for every tip :)

Jörgen

Here is a link that might be useful: Part of the yard

This post was edited by ItsJorgen on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 14:58

Comments (13)