SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Wandering Forks

meldy_nva
13 years ago

Not too long ago, we were eating dinner at a fairly nice restaurant (linen tablecloths, stainless steel utensils) and I was, of course, people watching.

Among the families there was a not-so-young couple sitting nearby; they were served just before our meals arrived. They had that stiffness you see sometimes when two people don't know each other very well, and neither seemed especially talkative. Frankly, it looked to me as though they had identical selections featuring lovely shrimps, but who knows, maybe one was salt-free or something.

The dinners were served, and she takes a sip of her wine. He (not saying anything) reaches over and stabs his fork into one of her shrimp and proceeds to eat it. Her face was absolutely blank, but her wineglass halted midway to the table. Still silent, he gets another shrimp from her plate and chomps. The wineglass was carefully put down, she leans forward and says something to him; then picks up her purse and departs. He looked offended, puzzled, and clueless.

Well, having been raised to think it rude to grab food from someone (even if he is your brother and grabbed first), I understand her reaction, but this isn't the first such incident I've seen recently. I'm wondering if this is some newish ritual that some/most/many are participating, or has it just been coincidental that my recent meals have been where one or more forks wander to other plates?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions