SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momstar_gw

Covering the compost bin

momstar
13 years ago

I was a little stressed out after work yesterday so I decided to turn the compost. I got #1 son to pull the front of the bin and started to fork it all out on the ground in front of the bin.

There was some nasty stuff in there. I know we have had a lot of rain but this was soggy, wet slime. The smell was so bad even the dog ran for cover. I didn't understand. There has been a lot of rain but really? So I kept forking, determined now that not only did I need the stress relief but the compost bin needed the air.

Well, my tired body gave out before the pile was back in the bin. The door is back on but only about 1/8 of the pile is in it.

As I was standing there pondering the soggy mess, I heard hissing noises. The sprinklers from the cemetery started up. Obviously the city has them on a timer and rain or no rain, they turn on. I'm still standing there when one of the sprinklers completely disregards the fenceline, makes a full circle, and sprays right over my bin.

I'm guessing between the rain and the sprinklers my bins have been getting flooded several times a week.

I had considered covering the bins with a tarp but I hadn't really felt like I needed to. I am definitely going to do it now. At least until this rain stops. And I'm going to get hubby to wander next door and adjust that sprinkler!

It is my RDO today. It is cold and rainy, I am sore and tired, and I have a huge slime pile in my backyard that is just getting slimier.

Sorry, I had to vent (whine). At least the rain is keeping the stench down. Not that the neighbors over the fence complain a lot anyway.

Comments (4)