SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Purple Nutsedge versus Zoysia

ZoysiaSod
12 years ago

If purple nutsedge establishes itself in small spots of bare earth where there was no grass (for example, where a veggie garden used to be), how does this nutsedge fare against surrounding zoysia grass when the two meet? Which will win out over time?

In other words, will the purple nutsedge invade the surrounding zoysia and defeat the zoysia, or will the Meyer Zoysia grow into, strangle, and eventually eliminate the purple nutsedge?

That purple nutsedge is one tough weed, I fear. I've been pulling out its blades, but of course, folks here know it has underground tubers that remain in the ground unless dug up, and I haven't dug the tubers out because I don't want to harm the surrounding zoysia, so I'm just removing the blades and occasionally small parts of the sedge's rhizomes. But they say, this perennial weed's blades will just re-grow, so you'll have to pull out the blades 3 to 5 times before the tubers finally succumb and die. That's also what I've been doing with the dandelions in my side yard--repulling the blades everytime I see renewed blade growth.

But my question concerns unmolested Purple Nutsedge whose blades are left in tact, and not messed with. Over time, will healthy Purple Nutsedge win out over healthy ZoysiaGrass, or will the Zoysia win?

Comments (4)