SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Random Ramblings on an Autumn Saturday

calliope
15 years ago

Well, first my thoughts are on Andie, Wandaredhead, Janis, Dorph and all those others who are close enough to the motherload storm front as anyone would care to get. We had an antsy night with kids/grandkids directly in the path of Ike. Still haven't heard from them, but they, like many Texans are getting to be veterans of what to do/not to do and bending with the punches.

We're going to a church picnic tomorrow, and the dh volunteered to peel apples I need for the pies. We have this cornucopia in the solarium where apples seem to reproduce endlessly to be pared for preparation. LOL. The kitchen smells of cinammon and nutmeg as it has for weeks.

The pepper plants in the garden are so heavy with fruit, they're bent over double to the ground, so next project is to make enough stuffed peppers to feed a small army. I go to find cooking directions on the inet for dirty rice, as I only know one way to make it, and find many are just ways to doctor up packaged mixes of it. Argh. If I wanted an instant dinner of it, I'd have bought it. I tend to get a little liberal with the hot peppers, however, and many of the folks who will be at the function are midwestern, elderly and farmers, so I hope I can keep my spices under sufficient control for their palates.

Yesterday was errand day, where I run into town and don't come home until it's done. Argh again. I had forgotten it was Friday and everyone who owns a car or works is out cashing their paychecks and spending it. LOL. Going out for a spin on a day like that is an exercise in human psychology. There are those fifty percent of drivers who will wave you in to the line of traffic graciously, and the other half who flip you fingers, or worse. I had the occasion to be waiting for a light with a car of two young men next to me who were discussing my 'rack', and behind a lady with a very mean-spirited bumper sticker. I firmly support everyone's right to be a rectum, but why do they insist on sharing it so generously?

Arthritis has decided to come visit me, and it's a spooky feeling to have had anatomy and physiology and be able to name each joint and throbbing tendon. And I wanna know.....why the LEFT THUMB? LOLOL

The fall garden is growing gangbusters, and I wonder why I haven't ever done them before. I guess burn-out or too busy with the g'houses. This year it's just a token fall crop to fulfill some old customer's annual needs, and I'm really liking my semi-retirement from some of the seasons. I suspect the bank account won't though.

In denial about all the jobs I'd put off until warm weather, then until we get rains, and now until cool weather. LOL. If I don't get to the chicken shed roof soon, they'll need little bumpershoots.

I finally broke down and got a fruit picker on a pole so I don't have to climb trees and shake it down this year. Thanks to the internet I finally found this hard to buy item and also ordered some wonderful fishermen's rubber clogs and other odds 'n ends I need for work. I had been looking around in those folksy outdoor stores for both and how can one place justify nearly forty dollars for the fruit picker and online just nine? Inet keeps vendors a little more accountable for their prices.

So, how is your transition into autumn going and what is going on in your weekend?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
More Discussions