SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

More random thoughts

hhireno
13 years ago

I have been searching the appliance forum for what seems like for-evah. You learn so many interesting things on these forums. I think I was a little happier when I didn't know what I didn't know and picked out appliances willy-nilly. Now there is so much to consider in picking out the best appliance, it makes my head spin.

Why am I so quick to want to blame a potentially sluggish thyroid for my weight plateau when I know, and you know, it's simply that the calories in are greater than the calories out. But maybe it's time to recheck the thyroid levels since I read in a magazine that even if my levels are within "normal" limits that doesn't mean they aren't too low for my body. Some docs treat for the symptoms, not just the test result. It's not just the weight - I'm not that shallow. I have other symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Am I going to be able to use my new Benefits Eye Bright, that I learned about here, without looking like a clown?

How is it Friday already and I didn't really do any of those jobs around the house I planned to do to stay in the air conditioning. What in the world did I get done this week? Besides confusing myself regarding major appliances. I could be/should be doing something useful right now and not musing about my random thoughts.

What are you thinking about?

Comments (67)

• natal
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you sure that was a Valium you took? ;)

• polly929
    13 years ago

I'm thinking I want to win the lotto, I am tired of working full time and being a full time mommy- sick of the juggling and multitasking.

I'm wondering why I thought I would be able to adequately train for a triathlon, while juggling all of the above.

I'm wondering why I can't lose weight while watching every calorie that goes into my mouth, and training for above triathlon.

Now I'm wondering why I've been driving around for 2 months with a prescription for Thyroid tests in my center console of my car and haven't had it done yet after reading all the above posts.

Now, I will stop thinking.

• Related Discussions

Random Pictures Random Thoughts

Q

Comments (13)
    Your sunset picture is beautiful, a sunset over water, but different from the one you posted the other day. But that's the beauty of sunsets -- no two are ever alike. The cloud formation was unusual; is that what's called a "wall" cloud? Seems I recall they can hold threatening weather, but your picture looked serene and peaceful. Your couch potatoes are relaxation personified! If they were any more "relaxed", you'd need a bigger couch! If you choose one of the job offers, would you have to move? Your closeness to water seems important to you; would that still be available? Please excuse me if I'm being too "nosy"; I'm just interested.
    ...See More

Questions and random thought of the day.

Q

Comments (11)
    Carol, The temps here in May drove me nuts. We usually go a degree or two colder than Burneyville since the weather station is a slightly higher elevation, but even so, the frost the first week in May kinda shocked me. (It was the third consecutive year we've had a light frost the first week in May, so maybe it shouldn't surprise me any more.) Talk about going from too cold to too hot...and we hit the 90s at our house about a week before Burneyville did. I'm about to decide our temperatures more closely correlate to Gainesville's than to Burneyville's. I hope (and I don't mean this in an unkind way) winter comes earlier to Grove than it does here because at last that would be the logical thing we expect. Nothing about the weather surprises me, especially this year. Haven't we just about had everything in 2010? Snow, sleet, thundersnow, thundersleet,rain, hail in every possible shape and size, wind storms, ice storms, tornadoes, multiple tornadoes all over the place in the same night...almost at the same time on some days, dust storms in some parts of the state, flash flooding, regular flooding, some winter or spring wildfires that even destroyed homes, earthquakes (not really weather related, I guess), snow in southcentral OK on the first day of spring, July and August temperatures in May and June, heat index numbers esp. north of the Arbuckles that have been some of the highest I've ever seen, very high dew points for weeks, and whatever else lies ahead the rest of the year. Did I forget any weather that we've had? Oh, we're having tropical moisture sent our way by Alex, but at least it didn't bring the strong winds like Erin brought us (and maybe Ike too?) a few years ago. By the way, there's Invest 95L in the northeastern Gulf of Mexico off Florida's panhandle. I've been watching it all week...even before it was named as an Invest, because some tropical weather models were trying to show it developing into something even before Alex hit Mexico, so many felt it likely Alex would hit and that the area now called Invest 95L would just disappear. It didn't disappear. Invest 95L is an odd little low pressure circulation and the Hurricane Hunter aircraft were scheduled to fly into it today to investigate and see what it is going to do. If Invest 95L develops, some models show it moving towards.....Texas or Louisiana. So, it could be a rainmaker for us here in Oklahoma in a few days, although I cannot imagine it could attain tropical storm or hurricane status since it is forming so close to land. It would be great if it sends us more rain next week though. Now that we've had a little rain, I am greedy and want more. Dawn
    ...See More

Random Thoughts (ok, got the correct forum this time)!

Q

Comments (21)
    natal, I don't understand hating forwards? Some yes, but there are so many great ones: funny like this one (always good to laugh), and just think of the take-your-breath-away nature photos you'd miss! I have friends I can count on to send beauties and I wait till night so I can view them in the dark. I took a "tour" through Paris and the Louvre via a forward. I'm a sucker for the darling critter pics and videos, too. Oh, and as for videos, some have put tears in my eyes, touching my heart. Of course, along with these are the ones I can count on to require an immediate delete, but the good ones make it all worthwhile...to me. So, natal, how come? I'm just curious, not critical.
    ...See More

25 random thoughts of your own

Q

Comments (17)
    1. I have to be in Houston in the morning at 8:30 to pick up a load of pet food. I dread driving in the rush hour traffic and it will be cold and maybe raining to boot. 2. I need to get ahold of the woman I met at the spay clinic who feeds feral cats and raccoons, and set up a time to meet her so I can donate some of the pet food to her. 3. I need to get an email address for my computer illiterate friend who wants me to contact a wholesaler that I found on the internet that sells really nice garden ornaments, wind chimes, feeders, etc. She gave her her tax info, but I left it in the truck and too tired to walk back out there tonight to get it. 4. I am cold and wish I had on a long sleeved shirt, but I am getting ready to go to bed instead. 5. It's 54 deg. here, right now. 6. I am glad I don't live where it is REALLY cold, I would die. 7. Wish I could find out something about my house that I want to buy. Vandals broke 8 windows out of it last week, and now dampness can come in from all sides. They also cut the sash cord on one of the windows in the dining room. Makes me ill to think about it. 8. My baby chicken that I got at the shelter a week or so ago is doing well. The dumb a's there didn't know if it was a chicken or a pigeon. How can anyone be that stupid? 9. My husband goes back to work tomorrow, and will be gone for two or three weeks. I'll miss his help in the evenings. 10. One of my new possums has a broken leg. I named him Hungry Jack because he eats everything I give him, every night and licks his bowl clean...no matter how much I give him, and he isn't very big. He is putting some weight on his leg now, and I am relieved about that. 11. I got Zelda, my dog, spayed on Friday. I am so glad to have that out of the way....no worry about puppies. Such a good little dog she is turning out to be. 12. My daughter was upset because someone hit her side mirror and broke it, but she took it to the shop today and got it fixed. Only took about 20 minutes, but they had to order a new one...and that took a day. 13. I got $4600 worth of pet food donated to me today. 14. I gave pet food to several people who are on limited budgets or feed wildlife. 15. The round bale of hay that I bought for the horses last week has lasted pretty good. They usually last about 10 days, and I think this one will last a little bit longer. 16. That's good, because I pay $79 per bale for it and with the feed that the horses eat, it costs me $420 to feed the 4 of them per month. 17. I'm enjoying all the gold finches that are here for the winter. They empty the feeders every day. I have 9 feeders! 18. I have a little squirrel that I don't know what to do with. He is too tame to release here, because a cat will get him. I need to find out if my friend, Tanya, has some non releasable squirrels that she can put him with. Or maybe he would be safer at her house. He is sooo sweet...loves to be petted. I didn't set out to tame him...he came in with about 25 other baby squirrels, but he was very sick for a long time. 19. I didn't eat supper tonight...but I'm not hungry. 20. Tomorrow I may have to go pick up someone I know who is in the hospital. She called me tonight and said she would call me in the morning and let me know. I told her I had to go to Houston, but I would come get her on my way back. 21. I have had to do so much driving lately, that I have filled my truck up every day or at least every other day for the past week. 22. I just took my bra off....I feel better! 23. I hate winter and freeze when I am sleeping by myself. 24. Tomorrow when I finish everything I have to do, I am going to treat myself by going out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants. 25. It's 9 pm. I'm going to bed.
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Ha!!! I laughed out loud at this thread! natal, hilarious. And mrsmarv, I read the stepford-cat lines to my DH. LOLOL...

What's most on my mind right now is how I will ever be able to help my DD conquer her fear/anxiety that started last year when she was injured by that 'teammate' and let her brain get out of her way so she can be in competition the runner we know she is in practice. She choked at XC regionals and nationals last year (her first big meets after The Injury) and now pretty much regularly turns in times a good 20 seconds *slower* (on an 800, that's significant) in competition than she does in practice. My heart just breaks every time some she tells us how whatever body part malfunctioned and slowed her down -- if it's not her knee, it's her gut, or her legs feel like lead...but what it really is is stress and anxiety and probably some anger from that girl (and her burgeoning choking pattern) still inside her. It's just horrible to watch...I even got two sports psychology books from Amazon for her to read before Regionals tomorrow...she's read them and likes them and they help her for a while...I'd *love* any advice on this topic...even though I won't tell her this, I feel like this problem could balloon out of track and into her life if we don't nip it *now*.

Guess that's not too light...the only other thing I'm thinking about is wondering how my aching trigger-thumb hands will hold up with all the caulking in my immediate future. Two bathrooms worth. Why do I keep putting it off LOL?

And overarching all of these big issues is The Question: Droid Incredible or Droid X?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Someone ask above about taking vacations or doing home projects. I vote for taking the vacation, the project will always be there.

Amysrq, try fish oil for several months and see if that helps your hair. My mom's hair was so thin from throid problems and then she started taking FO and it is thick as can be.

Yes, Natal I think I know what a Valium looks like.

• natal
    13 years ago

Flyleft, my brother has anxiety issues. His stems from a chemical imbalance. He knows now that taking a med helps keep him on a more even keel, but therapy plays a role too. Maybe your daughter could benefit from that.

I hate trigger fingers. Never know when they're going to strike.

Jane, it was a joke. ;) That's me winking.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

A counselor can help with performance related anxiety- it is pretty common.
    NewDawn the project or vacation was me- I am leaning that way too. and hey you have cats right? maybe it was a cat valium.... LOL sorry couldnt help it.
    And yeah I am with you on the family-been there done that- and not any more!! talk about feeling free- good riddance to bad luggage.

What the heck should I wear to this grad party tonight... search the closet I suppose- tired of everything. I don't know why but I would much rather shop for fall and winter clothes than summer- although I love spring and summer weather. idk.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

More thoughts...

DH invited friends for dinner tonight, so why am I on the computer? They'll be here at 6:00 and I'm pretty set. I hope.

Went outside after the rain and weeded the back flowerbed. I was hoping to start on the veggie garden but it's still way too wet to be tromping in a big area.

We gave Bitsy 1/2 dose and so far, so good. She's still pretty quiet, but she doesn't have that dazed and confused look. I know she's not as dopey because she swiped at me when I walked by. That's a good thing.

Okay...time to get off my duff and make some roasted potatoes and cook the chicken. Dinner is looking good for an impromptu one ~ pork loin and marinated boneless chicken thighs on the grill, cole slaw with poppyseed dressing (who gave us that recipe here at the GW?...not sure but it's a winner), roasted potatoes, fresh green beans from the garden (yea!) and home made peach ice cream over pound cake with macerated peaches and blueberries. Oh, and a couple of bottles of prosecco in the cooler ;o)

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I thought I would check this thread and find that it is a bit therapeutic and very comforting to know I am not the only one.

mrsmarv, We had a cat that needed anti-anxiety meds for OCD - overgrooming. It took a few weeks for her to adjust. She did looked dazed for a bit. However, the anti-anxiety meds only worked for a short period of time, probably about 3 mos, just until she got accumstomed to the dosage before she started licking more. BTW, your dinner sounds delish, I have just started to contemplate what ours will be this evening. I don't have a lovely garden and didn't get enough sleep last nite! We were out for dinner last night, so I need to put something together tonight.

Another thought, should have never taken up cooking as a hobby as my family has gotten used to interesting meals over the years. Doing involved cooking was once a fun thing. Now, they are just a PIA. I'd like to limit the involved cooking to when I get together with my gourmet group.

Also pondering amy's post. Yep, DD has been home on break since May and I missed her terribly when she left for her first semester. Being an only child, it was difficult for me at first, but I got to a place of actually enjoying having the house to ourselves. Another up side of things was that my relationship with DH shifted into a nice groove similar to before we had DD, kind of like when we were dating oh so long ago. That shift has been a bit disrupted since DD has been home. Not at all her fault, but feeling a bit guilty for having the same feeling that our relationship is better when DD is away at school. And the cycle will begin again in about 6 weeks when she returns to school. Ugh.

fly - my own DD had anxiety issues that were successfully dealt with through therapy and short term meds. Hers were medical fears, but still routed in fear? IDK, just a thought if you are concerned might be worth investigating.

jane and cooper, you two are too funny. Have had the same feelings at times regarding family, so I don't think you are unreasonable. When you figure out how to get out of the holidays and obligations without guilt, please share, as I would love an escape but my guilt won't let me do so. Since I host all of the holidays, birthdays and every other freakin thing we get together for (on both sides) my family has come to just expect that they will be coming to my home for everything.

I think it is a good thing that I too know what Valium looks like. lol

Looking at my post I see the word guilty alot. Note to self: Need to address that.

Do not feel like shucking corn, etc. It was nice when DD was at school and dinner didn't happen till 9 p.m. if at all.

Can't wait for fall either. Fall and winter clothing are far more forgiving of the extra ten pounds I am carrying around because of this MENOPAUSE stuff.

Thinking that this thread was a brilliant idea. Better than therapy, especially since it is open on the weekend:').

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I don't know why but I would much rather shop for fall and winter clothes than summer- although I love spring and summer weather.

coop--I'm with you on that, although I don't mind spring clothes shopping. I never seem to find or have any decent pants/capris/? to wear to go out (e.g. dinner out) when it's 90+ outside.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

work-in-progress I have only one thing to say to you - hormone replacement therapy. It took exactly 10 days before the hot flashes stopped - haven't had one - not ONE! - since and I'm 3 months on HRT. I was determined to go through menopause au-naturale although I have no idea why - it's not like they give you a medal or anything and there's sure as hell no tax break if you do! Finally caved and talked to my doctor, told her I wanted the estrogen/testosterone combo (with progesterone, too - you have to have both female hormones)because someone here gave some really compelling recommendations. I've now switched off the testosterone because I broke out like a teenaged boy but.....I sleep through the night every night and my brain fog is no where near as bad as it was although there are still times where I think, huh? But overall I can concentrate better, words don't escape me as much and i can carry on semi-intelligent conversations again! I'm a convert - they may never get me to go off HRT!

• natal
    13 years ago

they may never get me to go off HRT!

Just be prepared for symptoms to return if & when you do. Doesn't affect all women, but the hormones you're taking are only holding things at bay.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Jane - yes, I have to say I am at this point exploring/researching all avenues. From what I understand, the symptoms of menopause are caused by a loss of amino acids. I am trying to figure out which avenue I am going to go with. There are alot of available options, just weighing the pros and cons before deciding. Have to do something before I lose my mind. lol

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Why is it now that I'm back at work I am getting more done at home then ever before? I really miss The View and MSNBC.
    Are the clouds in Northern Illinois always this spectacular or have I never noticed it before?
    Why was it when we received health Insurance through an employer we were covered without question and now that we need to buy it on our own we are being interrogated?
    Why is it I discovered the GW decorating site just a few months before I went back to work and not last year when I had plenty of time? We got the internet hooked up at work yesterday. My productivity has already dropped.
    And the last random thought, when I am really crabby, is that menopause or just my dh driving me crazy?

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Its menopause. even if its not, you can use it for a defense if something bad happens to your dh. :0

Back from grad party- one guest said to me- "I have a shirt like that- sams club right? I got a bunch of them and wear it for tennis and stuff." nice.

fun time, good kids,good food,good beer.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Cooper, REALLY??!! She is why I don't have that many girlfriends.

I've been spending much more time with my DD lately. I watched Driving in Cars with Boys again this morning (4:30 AM) and asked her if *I* was that self absorbed as a teen mom. She assured me I never blamed her for anything. Drew's character did.

I mowed 1/2 acre of lawn and 1 acre of dusty weeds in the pasture today. I had to blow myself off with a leaf blower, then strip on the front porch before
    finally jumping in the shower. I've seldom seen such brown water. LOL! I still have the back to do.

Dubs went to the vet today. He is 10 and scheduled for $500. worth of dental work and surgery to take a huge growth off his elbow on Friday. Max called and need $500. to finish his dental work, damage resulting from an attack in San Francisco. (Nothing like that happened to him in the middle east.)

This week has been a pricy week. Besides Dubs and Max, our whole house fan and garden tractor both required a house call. Money needs to be growing on trees or something.

I have decided to embrace my new size 8. I'm pushing 56 years old and size 8 isn't bad. It's not my old size 6 but I don't care about competing with teenagers. I like my curves. As long as I stay firm.

I haven't had a hair cut in 3 or so months. I like my hair a little longer but it needs to be managed. I've been cutting my own bangs.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas about DD's performance anxiety-I guess that's what it is...I think it's heavily influenced by her bad feeling about other competitors--she doesn't feel safe at meets anymore, deep down, IMO. We've tried our best, and I got the books so maybe she'd hear things from someone other than me...I thought about counseling but it's so clearly sports-related; it doesn't carry over to flute or other aspects of life yet--is she too young to see a sports psychologist?

But anyway. Did one of the bathrooms and one to go. I get to paint that *gorgeous* color BM Pearl Grey! Really looking forward to it.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I don't think she's too young to see the right person, she could gain tools to help her deal with the stress. It's a question for you to find the right psychologist for her.

This thread makes me realize that we all deal with similar issues at times.

re: clothes shopping, you have to start shopping ahead of seasons, when new things come in stores, which is months before you actually need them.
    It's ridiculous per se but it works.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I really should stop eating while at the computer.
    I have to pull out the vacuum cleaner to suck the crumbs out of the keyboard before the ants find them.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

graywings - LOL!!!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Goldust- yep but it wasn't a friend it was someone I had never even seen before. I thought she meant my favorite old standby green linen shirt I had over the ( brand new) sleeveless Izod shirt with the cute green and blue plaid collar. Maybe she couldnt think of anything else to say!! We went to DDs BFs college grad party- we like him and his family very much so I just ignored her and had a great time with others.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Back from grad party- one guest said to me- "I have a shirt like that- sams club right? I got a bunch of them and wear it for tennis and stuff." nice.
    OMG, some people have no manners, I swear. Consider the sourse Cooperbailey. You make me laugh so much.

Natal, honey I swear I have to always apologize to you. Please except it again, where's my sense of humor? And you are from La., I love that state especially NO.

I can't give up my family, I'm just going to have to talk to them. Afterall, I am a open person and talk easily to people face to face. If they don't change then I will walk away and only then. I've known them all my life and I do love them and vice versa, I hope. (lol)

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Let me see....thoughts....oh yeah. :0)

This weekend we took off Friday to make it a long weekend, went to a wild flower festival, it was paradise. We stayed one day instead of 3 or 4. DH woke up with excruciating pain, got him to the ER, he had kidney stones(first time). Glad that was all it was....

Just finished staining the house, working up in the air on 3 high scaffolding for 3 weeks and 23 gallons of stain. Now I need to research roofing materials, check on prices for materials.

Need to make an appt. for my annual exam. Think I'm gonna get a diaphram for BC. Been on the pill all my life think it's time to get off.

I gained 10 pounds while staining the house. Eating to procrastinate and reward myself. Today I start eating less.

The flower gardens needs weeding....being taken over by clover.

My insurance policies(home & car) come due in 3 weeks. The home owners is a mess. They refigured it with lower liability coverage, insured the house for $100k more and I feel screwed. Need to just pay it and next year look for another carrier.

Need to get with GF & start planning a getaway for all of us for next weekend.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

neck is sore today and symptoms are not great. fooey. Was that way yesterday too- and the weather was perfect for a summer day- doors and windows wide open nice breeze fooey..
    took sick day today which means I am working at home so I can work and sit stand or lie down as I need to too much office work to do- not resting)
    Cooper and Bailey snoozing at my feet- puppy naps-

But it feels good to do this. I only take aleve- saving the big guns for when nothing else works. 6 months out from surgery.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

mitch, thanks for your thoughts. It appears that the books made a significant difference on Sunday...she ran a great race and successfully maneuvered out of a box-in, which is pretty wonderful and shows that she didn't panic, kept her head about her, and strategized.

In addition, for the second time, despite being boxed in for about half the race, she beat the girl who injured her last year. She is now thinking the episode is over, closed, and she can move on.

To the girl's credit, she found DD at a moment she was alone and said "Great job today. I know you're a really, really great runner." DD said she looked scared and embarrassed, but she did it anyway. DD returned the compliment and the girl virtually ran away.

We give the girl a lot of respect for daring to do that, esp. since her insanely pushy mom was probably the one who told her daughter to injure DD in the first place (seems so much like Karate Kid, which we took DD to last week as part of my off-the-cuff sports psychology program) and the mom was stomping around the meet, talking to no one, looking like she had a black cloud over her head. We're guessing that the girl talked to DD in secret, actually -- that she had to do it so furtively because her mom would have been furious at her if she knew. Our hearts actually go out to that girl and what she has to put up with every day of her life. DD was only injured once.

In case anyone's interested in the names of the books for future reference, one is _With Winning In Mind_ and the other is _Finding Your Zone_. She devoured them and was quoting from them all weekend. I know it won't be a simple linear recovery pattern, but she definitely broke the downward emotional trend and knows she did--this mom is SO relieved :)

Also *really* looking forward to getting a pic of DD running at Hayward Field this weekend!! No matter what happens, running at Hayward Field is a celebration in itself, even if Bowerman was a raging sexist :)

• hhireno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

3 cheers for little flyleft for overcoming her troubles.

Nicole: You should probably research new insurance now and not wait a year. I'm pretty sure if you find a better deal & cancel they pro-rate and return money. Ask you agent if the office offers another carrier who will give you a better rate.

CB: I cannot believe that woman said that about your shirt! How rude. What a difference it would make to say "I have that shirt in a few different colors & wear them frequently". And even though it seems like being post-op 6 months is a long time, it's really not, in the grand scheme of things so you should still be babying yourself sometimes.

Newdawn: you're right, don't give up on your family yet. Maybe just keep your guard up a little. And you should definitely start a book club in your town. It's a great way to meet people and be exposed to books you might not pick on your own.

Graywings: When you finish vacuuming your snack site, let me know how the wedding in Japan was or hasn't that taken place yet? It was you, right?

I enjoy reading all these sometimes varied but often similar thoughts floating through everyone's minds. I hope you'll keep sharing.

I went to Atlantic City yesterday - first time in over 15 years. Never set foot in a casino, we had lunch on the boardwalk then rented beach chairs & umbrellas and sat on the beach. I don't need to return for another 15+ years but it was a lovely day with my Mum.

Hmm, the most pressing thing on my mind right now is why am I typing this when I should be making a nice salad for lunch?

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

home again sick day but working- today and surgeon will see me on Thurs. fooey. DD getting frustrated looking for job. BFs DM friend( whew) said they were hiring at her workplace- she got a call to work in their call center.. she is a bit disappointed. so much for that college degree. Unless they want her to supervise.. hey thats a thought -that would be cool. anyhoo I am having new tingling and numbness in my arms and legs,
    DD and I are on the outs- she texted me to not talk about shopping at Goodwill to her boyfriends mother... we need to talk.
    DD is frustrated with no work and went to the gymn to work it off, I think my boss is getting frustrated with me missing time- although I have a boat load of leave time accrued and have worked from home yesterday and today even tho it is officially sick leave. And I don't feel like cooking and the dog beach is closed on Tuesdays.
    It was nice yesterday though- in the afternoon we had tremendous Tstorms and I enjoyed listening to the rain and thunder. Cooper and Bailey don't mind it at all.. although Bailey jumped twice when there were very close strikes.
    off to get some cheese for my whine....

• golddust
    13 years ago

I swear I feel sorry for all the new college grads. My niece is going to Spain to teach English for a year. Max's GF is trying to go to grad school (if she can find the $$$). If there aren't any jobs for your grad, maybe your DD could stay in school?

It's frustrating to watch our new college grads look for decent jobs. My niece is going to Spain to teach English for a year as there aren't many jobs in our area. Unemployment is about 11% locally.

Cooper, what is going on with your health? If you don't feel like cooking, then don't!! You are sick, so act like it!!!

• littledog
    13 years ago

I'm sitting here thinking about someone I've known for over 10 years. They've just started the third week of a last ditch, six week course of radiation to hold off the cancer that they found had metastasized to their brain last month.

They have always been "strong willed" and bossy to the point of being overbearing, self entitled, & physically and psychologically abusive (not to me, but I've seen it with others - animals and people who were unable to defend themselves) This person isn't even clever enough to give a backhanded comment like Cooper got about her shirt, but they are every bit as backstabbing and toxic. Basically, I wrote them off years ago as a mean, manipulative user, and although our paths have crossed a few times, they are someone I have avoided as much as possible.

But this is different. Although in my opinion we are not the least bit "close", since they called and told me about the initial diagnosis, I've helped a few times when they asked. This past weekend, we were at their house visiting; they'd said they wanted "everyone" there for a "goodbye party"of sorts, which amounted to a dozen people. They are loosing weight, unsteady on their feet and when they were introducing someone who had just came in, for several minutes they couldn't remember their grown son's name.

But they remembered my name. They were telling people I was their best friend. (Guilt with a capital G) I looked around and realized that with the exception of the son and a grandson, I had known them longer than anyone there. (they have been married to their current spouse less than two years) Like most toxic personalities, they tend to run through non family members like that, using them up to the point that they refuse to have contact with them again. I am trying not to judge, but I admit, I would have done the same thing, except my Foot Washin' Southern Baptist upbringing won't let me ignore someone who is dying, even if it is, well, them. If you are of a religious bent, please don't tell me that God will bless me for being kind; he might have if my heart was in the right place about it, but it's not, and I know it's not. Truth be told, I don't know why I'm allowing myself to get involved. I'm certainly not a good or even a decent Christian. I suppose my entire religious philosophy just boils down to love God and that it's a sin to turn your back on someone (human or animal, whatever) when they need help and it's within your power to do so. Zen Baptist?

I don't know why I'm writing, really, except that it's good to be able to "speak freely" among strangers. I know, TMI. Sorry about that, please ignore, okay? It's just that it's hot and humid.

I'm going to go take a cool bath and I promise I won't post again until I'm in a better frame of mind.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Hate the hot and humid weather we are having. I would so love to be in a cooler climate, if only by 10 degrees.

Just wrote the tuition check for DD's fall semester. Damned insurance company won't cover DD while she's at school. Paying the Bollinger policy once again so that DD can go to the doctor at school if she is sick. Wondering why am I paying these exorbitant health coverage premiums every month? We don't carry pharmacy, so that lowers it, but on the other end, I pay cash for any prescriptions. The carrier is freaking disputing two recent bills of DH's pending receipt of my certificate of former coverage. Claiming pre-existing condition. Now, I sent that Certificate when I bound the policy. Could not have gotten coverage without it. Just seems like it is always the run around when it comes to insurance whether its health, auto, whatever, always as HASSLE.

Sick cat seems to be much better, all things being relative. The fact remains that he has lost two pounds in a few months. Not a good sign, but at least we have gotten a momentary reprieve?

littledog - being a good/kind person has nothing at all to do with religion. I've encountered so called "religious" people (of all denominations) who would act like the person whom you speak of. I think you're just a kind/good person. What a conundrum you have on your plate. This is going to sound callous and not very PC, but when DD has a "situation" I always ask her what the particular friend at issue would do roles reversed. My DD is too kind and will reply, doesn't matter, I am not so and so. Technically she is right, but too, so am I.

cooper - ohhh, content of text from DD. I hope for your sake and hers that this isn't "the guy". Sounds like she would end up with a very monster-in-law-type MIL. I've gotten the same kinds of "talks" from my own DD. You know, if I want to buy a pair of shorts at GW, I'll damn well do it, and I don't have to keep my great find a secret! Kids, so worried about what other people think. I hear you about the job/college thing. I will be going through that in a short few yrs. DD finally found a summer job last week. Now, she's worked 2 nites, but is going to the Dominican for a week's vacation with her BGF's family, home for 2 days and we leave for our family beach vacation. Not going to go over very well with her new employer, as I expect that when she does tell them, they will let her go anyway. DD put in approx. 40 applications online and in person. No job till last week. I don't even want to think about when she has to find a real job. I am shelling out all of this money for college in order that she may have a decent shot at a career, knowing full well that we are in an economy which may not support her even if she is able to find a career-type job in her field.

Thinking I should immerse myself in a good book, might help change my current mood. A chunk of cheese too! lol

• barb5
    13 years ago

Cooper, I am worried about you. You had a cervical laminectomy right? I'm glad you are back to see your surgeon.

I had a herniated disc in my lower back several years ago. Had surgery and it got better for awhile, then a few months later I began to get unbearable pain in my leg. Went back to my neurosurgeon and she got me right back into surgery. Turns out scar tissue had formed around the nerve, pinning it down. She got the nerve freed up and I have been pretty good ever since. Not perfect, but functional, which at my age I am very happy to be.

You may want to put off talking to your DD. Being in pain and being anxious makes everything worse.

I hope your doc fixes you up as well as mine did.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Too many scrambled thoughts in my head today, so instead of that, I just wanted to comment to Cooper and Littledog -

Sue, please take care of yourself! So sorry to hear you are having problems after your surgery but glad you are seeing the surgeon. Please let us know what happens. I will be thinking about you.

Littledog, you are a kind and compassionate person. You follow the verse "Do until others as you would have them do unto you" NOT "do unto others as they would do unto you". You shouldn't feel guilty about the situation. Just do what you can and know you are making a difference in this person's last days.

tina

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

littledog, you are really a very good person, but you should not feel guilt at all,
    you know you are not their best friend but they insist you are all of a sudden.

I too enjoy those random thoughts you are all posting, we all have concerns that
    keep creeping in our minds but never get out- I don't share most of my concerns, I always seem to be on the receiving end of everyone's concerns around me and once I'm through helping them, I prefer to keep mine to myself.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

littledog, please be careful not to get drawn into something that will overwhelm you. I've seen it happen and experienced it myself. People like your 'friend' are sad and lonely and now desperate but the truth is, they are alone for a reason. If you get pulled in to the medical situation you can so easily become the victim. I'm sorry to sound harsh but it is the truth. Few if anyone else will be there for your friend and the ones who *should* will gladly unload their responsibility onto you if they think you'll take it. Facing a terminal illness is of course the most profound and soul shaking loss a human experiences and unless you have such tremendous reserves of strength you can expend much of it on this person, you will be deeply, deeply affected. And in truth, to what end? You can't be there for someone who truly isn't part of your heart's inner circle and you really can't be expected to be.

And that's my random but heartfelt thought today!

Ann

• graywings123
    13 years ago

But . . . you can "be there" for someone in his or her final days who is not close to your heart. Hospice workers do it every day, and sometimes better than those who love you deeply because they are sensitive but emotionally controlled. Littledog, protect yourself however you must, but if your heart calls you to help this person, then do it. As much for yourself as the dying person.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Had appt with dr this am and then super busy cause I missed part of the morning.I will be having an MRI and a CT scan on Sat. am early! He wants to get a look inside to see what is going on. So guess who will treat herself to breakfast and goodwill shopping after!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Dh and I went to a B&B in a town nearby but at a much higher elevation. The weather was heavenly. Now all he wants to do is move there when he retires. I am distressed about this as he has no friends but I have several close ones, family and lots of acquaintances on the edge of being good friends.
    I hope this passes but...a part of me wants to move too but it scares me.

Littledog, do what you can, it's not about religion or even how she considers you now, but how you will feel about it over the years, so you have no regrets or remorse.

As I was told over and over by my Aunt when my mother slowly passed, "this isn't a dress rehearsal".

• hhireno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Luck on Saturday, CooperBailey. I hope they find an easy fix for your situation. You definitely deserve a little treat and a stress reducer like GW shopping.

I have dinner almost made but can also ditch it in a minute (put it back in the fridge for tomorrow) if my DH suggests our favorite pizza place, which will be closing for vacation next week. I'd be happy to eat either thing so I'll let it be his call.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Little dog let your conscience be your guide. Sometimes people are just plain mean for a reason, I'm not sure where I am going with this. But, it sounds like she doesn't have much longer. Protect yourself though, and don't be taken advantage of.

I hope this makes some sense. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

.....Jane

• golddust
    13 years ago

I have a feeling that Little Dog has very little trouble taking care of herself.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Good luck, cb...may the medical force *and* the thrifting force be with you :)

• happyintexas
    13 years ago

What an interesting thread. I love reading your ramblings...they make me feel sane. Mostly. :0)

Littledog, I believe God sees your actions and the truth of your heart and is still pleased. Knowing your heart isn't in it and yet you still are in the 'fray' is significant. Too many people don't put themselves out unless their hearts are in it...and not enough hearts beat for others. You've encouraged me to notice some folks I've been not noticing.

I'm upset at the way I left something at my census job today...and today was also the day I stopped being a census gal. Sigh. I hope the situation works out better than it should. *I* should have been more precise. Sigh. Wish I could do it over again. This week's been hard--the main census stuff is over, this is follow-up stuff. Folks are really sick of us knocking on their doors. I got yelled at by residents this week (and I understand why, believe me) and snarked by my boss. The snark added the tiny straw that broke my resolve. I'm on to other things. So for the first time in weeks and weeks, I got to play this afternoon.

I'm concerned about my next career move (retired homeschool mom here)...do I get a real estate license? Open my photography business again? Write like I dream? Get a series of temp jobs? Argggghhhhhh! Dh job is shifting and possibly becoming unstable. I'd love to find something interesting, creative, and lucrative. I guess everyone feels that way, right?

The Texas Rangers are playing Boston tonight. Go Rangers!

• natal
    13 years ago

Happy, they're in Fenway? Go Red Sox! ;) We used to take baseball trips and catch the Sox on the road. Arlington was the nearest ballpark. Haven't seen the new one. Last visit was in the 80s. Had my first taste of Blue Bell at the ballpark in one of those little baseball caps. It would be years before they started selling it here in Baton Rouge. Homemade vanilla is still my favorite.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Oh gosh Bell Bell homemade vanilla ice cream taste like it was hand churned all day long, yummy. I can taste the pet milk in it.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Jane, you are just evil!!! I'm trying to diet.

• littledog
    13 years ago

Thank you, everyone who wrote. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. A brief update;

Went up last week to visit - they live too far to commute everyday to the hospital, so they're staying at a nearby hotel during the week while they get treatment. From our place, it's about a 2 hour drive one way; not just a jump in the car and dash over kind of thing.

Once we were there, they asked what day of the week they could "put you guys down for" to come up and spend all day with them every week because they "shouldn't be alone". (they were hinting around about one of us staying the night as well) I have no doubt that's true, but we declined. Because the spouse is busy, the son is busy, and the daughter is estranged, the barely 18 yo Grandson is staying with them full time, five days a week at the hotel, and going home with them on the weekend to help with (meaning: takeover doing) chores.

They also told me their Granddaughter (raised by the other side of the family) offered to spend at least one day and night a week with them, but they refused because they don't approve of the father of Granddaughter's beautiful, happy baby, who they don't want brought around.

IOW, they're still just as selfish and judgmental and manipulative as ever. *That's* what I meant about God knowing my heart; if I spent much time with them, I would not be able to keep my humble opinion to myself. (The back story on this is just unreal.) Like a bull in the streets of Pamplona, you either get away or get run over.

So, we haven't made plans for any particular day this week; my second oldest daughter is going in for a C section tomorrow in OKC, and if all goes well for them I'll try to stop by for a quick visit after everything is settled.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I knew you would take care of yourself. That said, I want to now about the baby!!! Please start a new thread and provide us with photos if you can! Puppies are grand but babies are the best!! I want all the details...

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Sounds like you have your head on straight with this Littledog and know what to expect from these peeps. However badly they are behaving, I'm sure your visits are a bright spot for them.

Congrats on the new grandbaby - and yes, please start a post about this! Hope all goes well with the delivery.

tina

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Cuss cuss cuss cuss. I am sooooo ticked off. And don't anyone dare tell me that is why they call it work. lost my humor. It was work before but I swear that it is coming close to torture. I can too swim with the sharks! I am not a guppy. really, I am a shark, underneath, somewhere. I think. damn why did i think I could be successful in this position regardless of the politics. Cuss. nuff said.
    returning you now to your regularly scheduled program. as you were.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Cooperbailey, you can do this!! You ARE a shark!! I'm sorry your work is torture right now. Now, write 'Rise above the politics' ten times on the blackboard!!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

yes ma'am.