SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rohan81

Two Issues with St. Augustine

Rohan81
12 years ago

Hi,

I live in a suburb of Houston, TX and I'm having trouble with my St. Augustine lawn. I know we've had an extremely dry summer, but the issues I'm having seem unrelated to drought. There are two issues:

1) I have a weed problem in my yard. The weed is a spreading type with pink fuzzy flowers. (See picture in link) What type of weed is it and how do you I get rid of it?

2) I'm starting to see browning grass and I'm not sure what's causing it. I've done the can and water test to look for chinch bugs, but I didn't see any. I only tried twice in different areas, so maybe I need to try a few more times. Or is it fungus? I'm not sure. The grass blades become very thin and brown. (see pictures in link)

Some Background:

I supplemented the soil in early May of this year with half sand/half topsoil mix since grass growth looked weak and unhealthy and it seemed like the soil was high in clay and very tough even after watering. I've had the grass for about one and a half years. Growth and health was great during the 1st summer, but it never seemed to recover with strong growth during the spring. There were visible weak spots with thin growth. Therefore, I supplemented the soil with the mix described above.

Throughout the summer I've been watering every other day for 20 minutes per zone, and recently I've slowly decreased the watering time to 12-14 minutes per zone every other day. I fertilized with Scotts Bonus S MAX Southern Weed & Feed and Fire Ant Killer at the very beginning of June and then I just fertilized again with Vigoro Weed and Feed in mid September. I was hoping to get rid of those weeds and an employee at Home Depot said Vigoro is just as good as Scotts and cheaper so I decided to go with Vigoro. It's been about 3 weeks and nothing has changed with the weeds. I also noticed that after I fertilized, there are more brown/shriveling grass patches instead of the lawn turning green and healthy.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm new to long term lawn care so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for you time.

Pics of Lawn Issues

Comments (5)