SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knj9

St. Augustine Growth Issues (8 month old lawn)

knj9
7 years ago

Hi everyone! I am a long time reader but first time poster, so let me first thank everyone indirectly for all of your help thus far. I have a newly built home and a lawn (SA Classic) that is approximately 8 months old. I live on the gulf coast in NW Florida - panhandle area, where summers are hot and humid. I laid the sod myself and tried to be as careful as possible with regards to butting edges, staggers, etc. I leveled the yard as best I could but it is not perfectly level by any means, and the only dirt prep I did was a good garden taking prior to laying the sod.

At this point, the yard is not dead - but it isn't thriving. It is green - no weeds and no bugs (that I am aware of) but growth is slow and maybe non existent in some areas. I have played with the watering schedule and am currently watering 30mins/zone 3 times per week, but the yard is not growing or dying - it's just stagnant. When examining the yard (see pics) it appears as though There is almost a dead layers of grass matter underneath the healthier grass - stolas appear to be dead and brittle on one end and green and healthy at the other. Blades don't have spots and look to be on decent shape, but the yard as a whole appears green with brown underneath. No dead areas are prevalent and nothing seems to be spreading so I am at a loss as to what the problem is - can anyone help? Laid down the first helping of nitrogen a week ago and the yard appears slightly greener, but not much growth yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz