SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigma7_gw

Wait a week for fertilizing (winter fertilizer)?

enigma7
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've had a very successful last year and a half with the lawn. 2 previous years of really bad luck (reseeding a near bare lawn only to have the monsoons wash all the seed and work away, 2 YEARS IN A ROW!), but finally I'm in a good place. Mostly all tall fescue and KGB, with nary a weed, and it is thickening up quite nicely since the fall overseeding. I did that about a month ago and used my Step 1 Scotts fertilizer (it was the only thing local I could find with sideron/Tupersan in it) to fertilize and prevent weeds from the bare ground and possibly subpar seed I used (Pennington Tall Fescue blend).

This week I was going to apply my winterizer (KGro 30-0-10) I picked up on a KMART deal but had read that it should not be applied during a mini-heat wave. Our temps this week are unseasonably warm (pretty much 70's all week), and I don't want to over-stimulate the top growth if fertilized.

Am I worrying too much, or should I wait until next week when the temps cool back down? I had planned to fertilize a little less than the recommended amount now, and then again around Thanksgiving....

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (5)