SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Bad hare day (rabbits' effect on lawn)

ZoysiaSod
11 years ago

You may have heard me tell IowaRiver that I have some rabbits--actually, hares I think--that occasionally leave a half-square-foot patch of my backyard Bluegrass lawn bare.

The hares seem to sit on the same small patch day after day (and possibly munch on the patch too) until they leave the lawn bare at that spot. Then they'll go onto another spot, sit and lie on the new spot for a few days and leave a bare patch there too--not completely dirt bare; a little thatch is always left. One half-square-foot bare patch after another after another has increased the amount of clover I have and decreased the amount of bluegrass. Clover and other weeds usually take over the bare patches.

The zoysia I have doesn't seem to be affected nearly as much as the Kentucky bluegrass. Don't know if it's because the zoysia is tougher or if the rabbits prefer lying down on bluegrass.

Any ideas on how to dissuade the hares/rabbits from tearing up the bluegrass? I usually chase them away or throw rocks to chase them off.

I've been considering the x10.com camera but haven't done much research on cameras yet. With a camera at least I can chase them off before much damage has been done. Some cameras will even send an email alert with a photo when they detect motion.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!