SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

Proper core aeration and commercial lawn care companies

richard904
16 years ago

We bought a home about one year ago, and we had to restore a somewhat neglected one acre front lawn. Both this year and last year we had a commercial lawn care company do core aeration, overseeding, and fertilizing. On the average I saw four to six cores removed per square foot. In the Kansas State publication "Aerating your lawn" (available on line), they recommend 3/4 inch diameter cores that are three inches deep and three inches apart. That means 16 cores removed per square foot. Iowa State University in "Horticulture & Home Pest News" recommends 5/8 inch diameter cores that are three inches deep and 20 to 40 cores per square foot. When I talked to another lawn care company in our area they estimated they did six cores per square foot.

The commercial companies are no where up to 16 to 20 to 40 cores per square foot, and my lawn care company thought that was much too daunting for them. The real question is whether four to six cores per square foot does any good at all, and therefore whether I am just wasting my money. It would seem that the home owner would have to do their own core aeration by making multiple passes in order to do it right.

Comments (6)