SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katty4

Orchid Noob... Questions, and am I on the right track?

Katty4
12 years ago

So on a whim I picked up a small phalenopsis orchid from a department store on the 23rd, along with a box of orchid fertilizer. I didn't water it the first day I got it since it was evening by then, but watered it the next morning with a thorough flush of room temperature tap water. It was hard to make sure all the water came out the bottom since there seems to be only one hole in the center of the pot so I poked a couple more small holes in the bottom.

My bedroom has a south facing window with a hip-height dresser in front of it so I put the orchid on the dresser. It is just in the shade though not the sun, the sun is so high up in the sky now that light doesn't slant inside. I live near Seattle, Washington and we have only got maybe 2 sunny days for the past week but the temperature in the house has constantly been over 74 F.

I keep the ceiling fan in the room on all day when I am not sleeping (can't stand the sound of the fan) since I read orchids like air movement, and sometimes open the window the orchid is in front of if it isn't hotter outside than inside the house.

I've been reading different websites on orchids and checked out the Ortho All About Orchids book from the library and have been trying to make sure I don't kill my plant since orchids seem so hard to keep, but after reading everything the care honestly doesn't look too hard? Am I missing something? Am I on the right track?

I haven't watered my orchid since the day after I got it since the center of the pot is still moist (I'm keeping a bamboo skewer in the pot). A couple of the buds on it are starting to open up today, which I hope is a good sign?

I also have a couple questions. How often should I be feeding my orchid? The box of food says every 2-4 weeks, and the Ortho book says "weekly, weakly". I'm not sure which to follow...

Also, what in the world is my orchid potted in? I've seen different pictures guides of orchid substrates but have not seen this green mossy stuff in any of them.

And, does my orchid need to be repotted or is it fine as is? The pot seems to be a little bent out of shape/bulgey to one side but I can't tell if there is too many roots in there or if one of the roots is just really strong and bending the plastic out of shape.

And should I be misting the leaves?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all this and helping me out :)

Pictures:

{{gwi:184152}}

{{gwi:184153}}

Comments (11)