SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

A Dog in the Doctor's Office

Janis_G
17 years ago

As y'all know we took Katrina to the Oncologist's office today.

We arrived 15 minutes early so we could fill out the update papers.

I was sitting there dreading the time when they called Katrina's name and feeling like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders when I glanced through the door

and saw a little dog lying in the hall outside the exam rooms. At first I thought I was seeing things, surely it wasn't a DOG. I kept looking back at the door and sure enough, there it was again.

At about that time, we were called back and shown into a room, the door was left open. All of a sudden the little dog came in went straight to Katrina and licked her hand.

Katrina reached down and gave doggie a pat on the head and

again she licked Katrina's hand and went out the door.

We learned her name was Belle and that she belonged to one of the nurses. She comes to work with her person 3 days a week because her person doesn't want to leave her home alone.

We watched Belle as she wandered in and out of rooms much to the delight of all the patients.

I saw one woman obviously in a battle for her life, she was very thin and you could tell she was so ill she could hardly lift her head. Belle walked into her room and licked her hand also and sat quietly as the woman gave her a gentle

pat and rubbed her ears and back. In that moment I saw the transformation of a very sick woman's face turn into a woman who was smiling and had just for that moment reached out to a sweet little dog putting her illness on hold if only for a moment.

The whole time we were there we watched as Belle made the rounds to all the patients bringing smiles where ever she went.

What a treasure, I thought, what better way to bring joy to those who need it most. She made everyone smile even when they didn't feel like it, who could resist a soft lovable

little fur baby. No one could resist her, of course, she had won the hearts of all who were fortunate to see and touch her.

What a great thing it would be if all doctor's offices had a Belle to greet and comfort patients.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions