SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenmitaly_gw

total lawn renovation with kbg 2 wks ago, lessons learned

jenmitaly
16 years ago

many thanks to everyone on this board for the countless hours spent helping novices like me.

my lawn journey really started 2 months ago after i installed an irrigation system. i realized after the installation that a decent lawn could be maintained. unfortunately, i was not happy with my existing lawn, mostly fescue with very thick blades and very bunchy and clumpy. i began reading all the threads on this forum and gained confidence that i could start over. i live in northern va - very humid summers - and i was not sure that it would be practical to try kbg. everywhere one turns, the recommendation by lawn care folks, garden center people and others call for a fescue lawn, or in some cases, a mixture containing high fescue content. after reading all the threads and having observed kbg lawns in a nearby neighborhood, i decided to start over.

as suggested by bestlawn, i gave pawnee a call about a month ago and asked to speak with glenn. he was extremely helpful, and we decided on an equal blend of bedazzled, moonlight, and award.

"mostly" based on recommendations on this site...

1) i began to spray my old lawn with roundup 2 weeks before seeds went down (9/2). i did so prior to scalping my lawn thinking that there would be more surface area for the chemical to be absorbed. in addition, i felt like having clippings fall on the bare areas would prevent the seeds from making ground contact. in any event, the lawn killing process took a lot longer than the 2 weeks i had planned for. this could have been caused by the grass being dormant and dry, but looking back, i do feel like that cutting the grass short would have made the roundup work faster. if i had to do this again, i would have 1) allowed 3 weeks to kill the exising lawn and 2) scalped the lawn prior to roundup.

2) with grass still green in some areas, i went ahead and mowed my lawn at the lowest setting (9/15). i was betting that given that the still green areas had been sprayed with roundup on 3 prior occasions, it was going to die sooner or later.

3) i core aerated my lawn like it's never been aerated before (9/15). using a drop spreader around beds and edges and a broadcast spreader away from the beds and edges, i began spreading my kbg, one pass perpendicular to the next for even coverage. afterwards, i core aerated the lawn again since i did not have a roller. i figured that the probability of my aerator splitting a seed in half was low and that my aerator would in some way act as a roller.

4) afterwards, i attempted to evenly spread 10 cu. yds of compost as topdressing (9/16). I was pretty tired at this point and probably did not do a great job of spreading the compost. in retrospect, i would have dedicated more time and effort to evenly spread the compost as i really feel that this part of the renovation process is extremely important.

5) i watered anywhere between 2 to 4 times a day depending on temperature and humidity.

i do see that my lawn is showing some green now. i recognize as it has been written on this site that 1 to 2 years may be needed for kbg lawns to really establish themselves. i am just excited to see green. thanks everyone for all your help. i will post some pictures showing why evenly spreading the compost is important for seed establishment.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio