SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Cover crops go to seed? Any of the following?

emyers
15 years ago

OK. I've narrowed down my choices of cover crops for the fall winter period. Some I'm just growing for experimentation purposes.

Now, I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about any of these going to seed and causing me problems down the road.

My intentions are to plant now and till in in the early spring, with the exception of white clover which, I plan on leaving in the aisles year after year, thanks to a recommendation on the forum.

1. Hairy Vetch- Has been mentioned by Nandina as potentially problematic seed in the south. Can anyone elaborate? Nandina?

2. White Clover. I assume this is a perennial. Will it seed itself also? If I don't turn it in in the aisles, then, one day/year decide to turn it in, will I have problems with it becoming a "weed"? Also, it's apparently 8" tall. How will this work for a permanent plant in the aisles and or used for underplanting winter vegetables?

3. Cereal Rye (aka winter rye). Any probs with seed here?

4. Crimson Clover. Issues?

5. Oats. Issues?

6. Winter Wheat. Appealing to me because it supposedly doesn't go to seed until 2nd year. Am I missing something about it?

If anyone can steer me away from any of these, and/ or offer up additional recommendations, thanks.

Comments (14)