SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcaren_gw

Is there any hope for my moldy yard? (with pics)

mcaren
16 years ago

This is our first year of organic gardening. We had a rocky start; we've got lots to learn, our yard was a jungle, etc. -- but I'm wondering if there's much hope.

We've got more diseases (deficiencies? symptoms?) than I can count. I thought we'd made some progress initially -- we've got lots of earthworms, predatory bugs, skinks and snakes, and I think we've improved the soil a lot. On the other hand, this area is challenging -- we've got an acre close to a river in Virginia Beach -- humid, hot, shady, (lots of trees) and very buggy. We've tried our best to use the techniques I read about on this forum -- we're composting and adding lots of it to our yard and garden, avoiding chemicals, using anti-fungal remedies on the garden plants (vinegar, oil, milk, etc.) with limited success, fertilizing the garden with fish emulsion -- but it looks like a mold bomb exploded over our yard.

I've tried to diagnose what's ailing our plants and I'll be darned if I can tell the difference between some of the diseases or deficiencies I've read about -- the photos showing symptoms look so much alike. I'm hoping someone with more experience than I can take a look at these pictures and tell me what's going on and whether or not I should be putting this much effort into a possible lost cause... So many plants are affected (and I don't think it's just my yard) that I don't know how I'd ever successfully overcome something this widespread.

These photos show some of the plants and fruit that are showing symptoms. I included one photo of a tomato plant from early July -- I thought it might show the early stages of whatever we ended up with. We've also noticed what I think is blossom-end-rot on some tomatoes and peppers; I'm not sure if that's a symptom of another disease. Oddly enough we've had some success with the tomato fruits -- some are catfaced (I think that's what it's called) and have other blemishes, but most taste good and the plants have been pretty prolific considering what shape they're in.

I'd appreciate any and all comments! We may need to rethink what we plant -- so far basil is about the only thing that's thriving... Thanks. alliemack

This picture is from mid-July -- I thought this was blight.

I planted a few zinnias and they all wound up looking like this...

I wasn't sure if this was a fungal disease or a mineral deficiency. However, many of the leaves look healthy (those green ones are on the same plant), so I have no idea what's wrong...

Another photo of the same tomato plant

This is what most of our back yard looks like. Our soil is very compact and needs help -- but I've never noticed mold growing like this before. It's all over the place (even in the areas that seem to drain better than most).

I'm not sure what this plant is (a volunteer squash or cuke?), but I thought this might be powdery mildew...

This is a jalepeno pepper plant. A sunflower next to this had many more tiny spots on its leaves (I thought it was rust) -- not sure about this...

This tomato plant is inside our raised garden (the grayish-purple one shown first is located in a different bed) -- different problem?

Another photo of the same tomato plant.

I forgot what this plant is called -- looked great for a few weeks, but now it appears to be rotting away. (I've got some thyme and Irish moss doing the same thing).

This is what the majority of the Yellow Poplar leaves look like as they're falling from the trees in my yard.

This is what our dogwoods look like -- a few small ones have died after their leaves become covered in this stuff...

Leaves from one of our Sweet Gum trees...

These photos show a tomato that came from the healthiest plant we've got (well, at least it's growing and the leaves are green!). It looks like it could have multiple illnesses...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!