SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

compost teas..... & the USDA organic program questions

emyers
15 years ago

Went out and looked at the USDA organic program website to see what they had to say about compost teas.

Looks like there is a lot of room for error in the manufacture of teas that could potentially incorporate human pathogens.

In the manufacture of compost teas, it looks as though they are assuming that animal manures are to be utilized in the teas.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any insite into whether a straight alfalfa tea would have to fall under the same guidelines for the compost teas? Or better yet, if ANY tea made from materials that do not contain any animal products would be considered safe.

My plan at this juncture was to make some unaerated tea consisting of alfalfa meal and "humus" that I gather from the forest floor on my property.

What could possibly be the danger in that?

Fill bucket halfway full with humus/leaves/soil and other junk that I get off the floor in the woods, add some alfalfa meal (to proportions in recipes I've seen) fill with water, and stir at least daily to aerate a little. Pour a half gallon or so on transplants.

Using those products is there any possibility of incorporating human pathogens? What would the USDA organic program have to say about it? I couldn't find any way to contact them with questions (other than the webmaster).

Anyone?

Comments (9)